Annotations

1. Herold, Benjamin. Philadelphia High School Dropouts And The Job Market: No Diploma, No Job. Huffingtonpost: Benjamin Herold, 2012. “http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/07/philadelphia-high-school-_n_1260466.html

This article titled “Philadelphia High School Dropouts And The Job Market: No Diploma, No Job”  talks about a young women that is named Monica Reyes (That is her Online Name) and how she struggled to find a job because of her missing her high school diploma. In the article Monica reyes stated “Growing up in that neighborhood, I went through war”. She grew up in Kensington where she lived in a not so good neighborhood. After behind shot she grew afraid of the place she lives in. In 2011 Mayor Nutter made graduating high school a priority which increased graduation rates a little bit above 60%.

2. Mattleman, Marciene. The Dropout Problem. Place of Publication: CBS Philly,KYW NewsRadio, 2010.
http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2010/11/10/the-dropout-problem/

This article titled “The Dropout Problem” is about why people go to school and why they drop out and how that creates a problem. This article states that a majority of people drop out of school because they feel as though school is useless and they prefer to pursue what they want to be in life such as a sport or hobby that doesn’t really have much to do with school. Also it tells that research has shown that most kids that drop out of high school come from a low income family. With that happening it creates less achieving people which adds on to the problem of dropping out. Then it shows statistics of how much money the u.s could of saved if kids decided not to drop out of high school.

3. Woodall, Martha. Task force cites high dropout rates for African American, Latino students
. Place of Publication: Philly.com, 2010. “http://articles.philly.com/2010-09-03/news/24973951_1_task-force-dropout-national-graduation-rate

This source talks about how African American and Latinos are the major cause of the high school dropout rates. It includes how Mayor Nutter and the task force is trying to prevent more dropouts by adding more extra activities for school and having the students engage in more fun activities so they can enjoy coming to school instead of staying home. It also tells me that the national graduation rate was 48 percent African American males and 49 percent Latino males whereas for females it is incredibly lower. Also it says that teachers must treat students with respect and fair or else a student could feel as if the teacher dislikes them which will make that person not like that class and just stop going.

4. Scott, Maiken. A New Beginning For Philadelphia High School Dropouts. Place of Publication: Newswork.com, 2010.”http://www.newsworks.org/index.php/local//behavioral-health/6560-a-new-beginning-for-philadelphia-high-school-drop-outs

This source talks about a program where students that drop out of high school with regrets gets a restart on there mistake and gets a diploma. Its each days of having to be at this program on time and be prepared to work following basic school rules. The program has you do something you want such as help building a house. This programs gets funding from charter school and private fundraising. This program changes people's lives around in a good way. It also tells why people drop out and one of the biggest reason was disrespectful kids. Jefferies, a high school dropout, had left school because he couldn't take the people at his school and because of family problems making it worse for him. Most of the people that join this program are useless on the line of failure or becoming homeless. This article talks about how people in there 20’s that once lost it all and didn’t have a high school diploma to live good to having another chance to get there shine back.

5. Petrillo, Matthew. Drop-In Program Gives Dropouts A second Chance. Place of Publication: Voanews, 2011. “http://www.voanews.com/content/drop-in-program-gives-drop-outs-a-second-chance-117418128/163509.html

This source talks about another program that was made to help obama achieve his goal of making the dropout rates lower. This program is for kids that are considering dropping out. It basically shows the good side of schools and how hard work can give you good things. This programs awards you for doing good well basically bribes you, for you to do good in school. The program started off small and as a telephone hotline but now this program runs in about 11 schools. This program helps kids stay in school and make school a better place, also show that if they do stay in school that they are capable in way more. Over the past couple of years high school rates increased but this past two years it decreased which is really good.

6. Perez, Ricardo. Telephone Interview. 14 Febuary 2013.

1. What is the current status of high school dropouts?

(That person thoughts on high school dropouts today.)

- I would say that a lot of people take school as a joke and that is one of the biggest cause of high school dropouts today. Its like nobody has motivation to go to school anymore. Its sad to say that i’m glad i finished high school before my peers. But according to statistics high school dropouts have lowered over the past couple of years. I think that people that drop out of school make the decision to drop out because of what is going on outside.

2. What is the history of this issue -- how did it come to be this way?

(How were high school dropouts back then? How did it change to the way it is today?)

- Back when the world was different and books were essential, i think a lot more people dropped out because of lack of technology. People were lazy to go to school and do hard work and basically just read. Like today we have advanced technology which makes people have more fun in school because of phones and tablets. Its like a laptop/tablet is used for an replacement for books.

3. Who/what are the main influences on this problem and its future?

( How are the people that you think has made a person drop out?)

- I think that the place the person lives at is the influence. Looking at statistics high income families tend to have less high school dropouts compared to low income families. Its like the kids don’t have much support at home which makes them not want to go to school because of problems they are having at home. And also some kids rather just work and have the ability to help pay for his family.