Another Day Gone

Winston Elliott New York Times Submission

I created this piece on my laptop at my house in Philadelphia PA. For this piece, I wanted to make a descriptive piece of writing that show what the past months have been like. I didn’t want to make some regular piece of writing though. the more I thought about the it the more I realized that several main words came to mind when I thought about the year of 2020. Pandemic, Tension, Laughter, Focus, and relief.

This writing relates to the theme of being a teenager during 2020 because it reflects some of the day to day experiences that I had. To write this I would write a paragraph about something that I remembered, or that had happened sometime that day. Each paragraph was written on a different day for I wanted my mindset on different days show in my writing. For example you may see that some paragraphs are sad/dark and others are happy.

Ruby Kirk (Student 2024)
Ruby Kirk

This is really good. I like that you took words you associate with 2020, and wrote pieces that describe the experiences really well, and makes you think about reality and how everyday life really is.

Giavanna Jackson (Student 2024)
Giavanna Jackson

This is very creative and i can relate to the school part so much. I felt the same, i thought why should I listen and why should i learn this. As I was reading this it made me think back to the times in quarantine when I had family game night or well thought out home cooked meals.

Kara Clapper (Student 2024)
Kara Clapper

The poem you wrote was amazing. I think it so accurately describes how it felt being a teenager in 2020, and the way you described zoom school was very true.

Kara Clapper (Student 2024)
Kara Clapper

Reese Covalle (Student 2024)
Reese Covalle

Oh My God Winston this is such an interesting piece! I love the rhythm of the words and how you say so much with so little and at the end of the day just brings sleep until tomorrow.