Artwork About The Wall

The artwork that I made is about when Offred and Ofglen visit the wall. I tried to combine both of the times they were there. The first time, Offer had oranges you could put inside her basket not being the primary point of attention but still there regardless just to remind you of their previous visit. I tried to make the artwork look like it is in the first person as if you were Offered seeing the dead person that you may or may not have known in your former life. What you can also see is a “J” on the person on the wall because in Handmaid’s Tale it says, “The body is marketed only with a J in red. It doesn’t mean Jewish.” I also believe that the first-person point of view allows you to feel like anyone can be on the wall and that it is just dumb luck that you are not up there as opposed to someone else. That line was the reason that I decided to make the artwork in the first place. When Offred told the reader that the J was not about Jews you can infer the lines of cruelty that Gilead has. There are many groups outside and inside of the umbrella of Christianity that you can’t pick one group and probably all of those groups have an equal chance to be stung up on the wall and killed. Also just how nonchalant the narrator describes how she knows what the symbols on the dead body mean is a reminder of just how bloodsoaked the society is. Another part of the work is that the sun is initially redder than the normal sun. I did this trying to show how much more bloody Gilead is than our normal day-to-day is. The sheet itself while not being fully accurate to how the people were in clothing while they were hung looks more like a ghost and of course, ghosts are dead just like the people on the wall. The reason this sense is important is that it shows how the people who were killed are not just some one-time occurrence and is in fact a common theme that happens many times in this society. This leads to the very calm attitude that is shown throughout the book about people being killed or kidnapped and just how calm and unresponsive society is to all of the necessary violence. In conclusion, the artwork is overall about how the society is bloody and that the people in the society are becoming more and more used to how the government is acting. The oranges are a rarity and are increasingly rare because of restrictions on the red light to the bloody attitude of the government. You are in the first person to put you in the frame of how Offred is and how that could affect you. Finally the J an unrepresented letter to show the cruelty of the government. This is what the piece is trying to get across to the viewer.