Assumption

Most people assume that I come from Korea by the way that I look. My hairstyle, skin color, and my makeup makes me look like I’m from Korea, but it’s doesn’t mean that I am. Sometimes people will assume that I was born in America because I can speak English. Sometimes, I don't feel like correcting the people that are making assumptions because there are so many people that just come up to me and assume they know everything about me by the way I look or the way I act.

This story all began this past summer. I was hanging out with my friends at the park near my house and a beautiful woman that was fashionably dressed who came up to me, started to talk to me and asked me questions about myself. The first question she asked me was, “Are you from Korea? OMG, I love Korean people, the music of Korea, and the language too, they are so cool!”

I never thought by looking at the way she was dressed that she would be the kind of person to make an assumption about other people until she started talking.  I said to myself  “I have no idea why she thinks that I came from Korea.” So I looked at her and responded “Nah, I’m not from Korea, but yeah, I think the music and everything in Korea is really cool too…!”

I wanna to tell her that I came from Vietnam, but she was talking so much ,she just stopped me and continued to assume and went on to say, “Wow, so you’re not Korean, should I believe that?" She laughed "So, you’re born in America right?"

I took a few seconds to think and there were tons of questions coming up in my mind: " Really? Why are you laughing, I don’t think is funny? Or do I really look like I was born in America? Is my accent proving that I was born in America? Come on people!" Then I said, " No, I was born in Vietnam." She thought that I was joking, so she starts to laugh at me. Before I knew it, she turned around, walked away, and I never saw her again.

A few days later, where I was with my friends at the same park, a guy came up to me and said the same exact things that the women did. I was so mad that I didn’t even feel like correcting him. I just don’t understand why people like to assume things that much. And it’s always happening in my life.

Assuming about others is not always a good thing to do. I mean why do people always  have to assume? In my experience, people assuming where I am from just makes me mad. People never think about how others feel in the situations if  it can hurt them or affect them in some way.

For example, if you go up to someone that doesn’t have a perfect family, and you just come up to them and start to assume that they have a perfect family. Then you start talking about how happy is your family compare to people who don’t have it. They will feel bad, and that can bring them down in everything. I mean that by the will get upset, and I think when people getting upset they don’t really can do much things, so that’s mean you just rude in their day, maybe some people will remember it for like their entire life. That’s not good, people want to get a happy life, and they want to be happy even single day.

Some people will think that this problem is not important because they never experienced it or because they don’t really care if somebody might hurt their feelings. Also, if you think that the problem is normal to you, it doesn’t mean that is normal to other people. We are different, people have a different opinions on assumption. So, I think that you shouldn’t use it to other people. If you want them to respect you and not assuming anything on you, then I think you should respect them as much as they do for you.

Orlando Irizarry (Student 2020)
Orlando Irizarry

Nhu your article stood out the most in my opinion. I loved that i actually connect with you "assumptions" essay, I connect with it because people will assume I'm from the south, or I'm mixed. Reading your essay explained why you got upset with me because I assumed that you were Korean, It also shows that you don't like people who assume because there is other ways of doing that. What I did like is that in most of every paragraph you reflected some emotion on how you felt at that time.

Madison Siegel (Student 2020)
Madison Siegel

The way you show how it's not good to assume something about a person without getting to know them is a great way to show it. When I read this I couldn't believe that people would even doubt what your saying to them. Like why would you lie about who you really are? Your essay makes it very clear that the system you are associating with is assumption. Also why do people ask some thing that doesn't really affect them and is none of their business? Great job on your essay!

Serenity Baruzzini (Student 2020)
Serenity Baruzzini

I knew you are from Vietnam, but I never knew that people take you as Korean. I find that surprising. That is so disrespectful! I'm sorry that that happens to you. I think you did a good job incorporating dialogue just enough to have interaction, but not so much that it's distracting. Your opening is really strong because you get right to the point, which made me expect your essay to grow weaker after it. I was wrong. Your essay was true and strong all the way to the end.

Sara Frunzi (Student 2020)
Sara Frunzi

Nhu, I really like your essay in general. I learned more about you in the sense of how you feel and react to other people. I really like the way that you kept the theme of assumptions throughout the essay, and shared your thoughts along with the dialogue.