Blade Runner Poster

Retire All Replicants

After watching some film analyses, I was intrigued by the idea that Deckard is a replicant. I wanted my poster to hint at the fact that he is one. When the idea was first floated, I was pretty doubtful but after watching the videos, I began to believe it. I still don’t completely believe that he was written to be a replicant but it’s fun to think about the hints that the people who made the film put in. I wanted people who believe in the theory to see the poster and think that since Deckard is on a poster with so many other replicants, he is one too. The new title could also be ironic; “retire all replicants” could mean that Deckard eventually would have to be retired, too.

I found pictures of Deckard and the replicants he is tasked to retire. I like the shot of Deckard a lot because it shows that this is not a movie about retiring, it’s about murder. There’s stress and suspense, and it’s almost always dark and raining. All this can be inferred from that one shot. It seemed like an obvious choice to make Racheal’s picture bigger since her involvement in the story is bigger. I also like that by looking at her outfit and the way she holds herself, someone could guess that she’s the femme fatale even from just one shot.

The unicorns at the bottom represent the added symbolism of unicorns in the director’s cut. While watching the video about the differences between the cuts, I learned that the original cut focuses more on the whimsical aspect of unicorns whereas the director’s cut focuses more subtly on them. Either way, unicorns represent something special and magical, similar to the replicants. Adding them to the poster makes it fun to look at after watching the movie because viewers aren’t going to know how they connect to the story until after watching.

I added the question to intrigue viewers and give a very basic summary of the plot. I like the question format because it can be answered with “find out this June” which is when the film did come out. People don’t want to read a lot of text, but they want enough to know what the film is about.

In my opinion, this movie is much more about the replicants than the blade runners. By focusing the poster on replicants, one could tell what the film is really about and theorize that Deckard is also a replicant. Both are things I wish I knew before watching.