Building Park in Communities: Finishing Up

In my last two blog post I talked about how I was interesting in the subject of Building Parks in Communities. In the first blog I went into detail about the statistics about the crime rate and the poverty in certain areas with and without parks and compared them. In my second blog post I explained how I wasn’t able to get my interview because of the lack of response.

Since I wasn’t able to have an interview I decided to continue on to my agent of change. I ultimately decided to do an event in a park. I heard that Jayden Tull’s topic was excercise and they would go hand and hand. So we collabed and came up with the idea to have a workout session at a park. We made sure to text everyone that we knew would be able to come out and waited for their responses.

We got a good amount of responses and went to Penn Park to do our workout session. When we arrived we decided that it would be way more fun to play a game of soccer.
Resized_20170607_161703
Resized_20170607_161703
It would have been pretty boring to just do exercises so we did a game that would have us exercise but we would also have fun doing. That’s why we chose to do soccer. We played for about an hour before we all went our separate ways and went home.

I loved the experience that we had at the session. The energy was awesome and it was obvious that everyone wanted to be at the session. I really enjoyed interacting with the students that came out. Not only were we able to do a part of a project but, we also had fun while doing it. I never thought that I would have this much fun while doing a project.

We made a change at the session. We were able to inform students that you  an excercise and have fun at the same time. This was very important because we were able to make a change in students lives. I am really confident that the students that came to the session will be exercising over the summer.

I really enjoyed this project. As I worked on this project I was happy that I was able to express a topic that I really wanted to invest in for school.

Resized_20170607_161511
Resized_20170607_161511
It gave me a chance to really connect with the topic personally. With the knowledge that I have now it made me focus more on trying to improve communities. Especially my community, and now I have an idea on why the parks are important.

I learned that I really care about my community because of this project. I spent so much time thinking about how to contribute to the cause. I also learned that even though I go through a tough situation, if I persevere through it I can finish strong. Parks are also really important to me which was really a surprise. Check out my Annotated Bibliography for more information.