Cover Up

“So, are we in accordance?”

Chief Inquisitorial Detective Marrows stood before a line of firemen, all solemnly standing with their arms folded in a way that could easily insinuate anger, distrust, or protest.

“Lieutenant Michaels, I require an answer, “ Detective Marrows stated impatiently. “Now.”

A rather gruff man stepped forward and uneasily glanced around the firehouse for a moment, his pupils constricted as he saw the police squad standing just outside.

“I’m afraid I can’t make that decision without a captain present,” he responded nervously.

“Well, Unfortunately, your captain is dead,” Marrows sneered. “but you already knew that, didn’t you?”

The whole team of firemen shifted posture as the obvious tension in the room rose to the tipping point.

“I don’t appreciate your tone,” Michaels responded. “Chief Detective.”

“Frankly, that doesn’t matter to me.” Marrows stated bluntly. “What matters to me, is the assurance that your squad will report the fire that burned down the CAGT building as an accident.”

“But there is obvious evidence that the fire was ignited by an arsonist,” Michaels said. “you wouldn’t need to be an expert to see that.”

Lieutenant Michaels looked at Detective Marrows with an apprehensive stare. They both knew it wasn’t an accident that a whole team of prominent CAGT protesters perished in the fire. A whole team including the Lieutenant’s mentor, Captain Nichols.

“I don’t care if God himself came down and told the whole city that the fire wasn’t an accident,” Marrows stated impatiently. “it is required that your team reports the fire as such. This is a matter of national security.”

Michaels sneered. “So, protecting national security to you is murdering civilians in order to keep your party members in office?”

The firemen standing behind the lieutenant exchanged glances of discomfort.

Marrows Paused before answering.

“I suggest you watch your tongue, Michaels.” he said. “I would hate to have to dispatch a team of Collectors to retrieve you and your family for processing”

The Chief Detective’s threat resonated throughout the whole firehouse. The line of firemen shifted angrily.

“How dare you threaten my family!” Lieutenant Michaels shouted. “You have no right!”

Actually,” Marrows responded. “I do.”

A fire ignited in the Lieutenant’s eyes. He lunged for the Chief Detective, his face distorted in anger. A single fat vein protruded from his neck. Alas, his attack was too slow for the detective, who produced a handgun within milliseconds. The previously quiet firehouse echoed with the discharge of Marrow’s retaliation. Blood splattered every surface in front of the detective as Michaels’ corpse fell to the ground with a pathetic thud.

The remaining firemen were scattered across the firehouse floor, streaks of crimson blood stained their yellow uniforms. Before they could regain their composures and attempt to retaliate, squads of police officers and Collectors stormed the firehouse, disarming and retaining all the firemen. They were marched outside and thrown against the steel door of the firehouse. One by one they turned to face their captors, squinting from the intense sunlight.

“Well,” Detective Marrows started. "What are you waiting for? Death by firing squad effective immediately."

The detective disappeared amongst his government personnel. Shortly after, a crescendo of bullets resonated throughout the empty streets surrounding the firehouse.