DYOL: Life in prison

The Prison system is created to hold people who have been convicted of a crime. They house, feed, create jobs and even train inmates while they are incarcerated, however there the program for reintegration is non-existent. When prisoners are released from prison they often times lack the skill needed to fully integrate with family, friend and the work force and this leads them to commit the same crimes. Prisoners need a program that will give them the necessary skills needed to be successful after prison.

Elizabeth W. Mckune is a Psychologist whose ultimate goal is to help convicts re-establish themselves after prison. She has successfully incorporated integration skill into her mental health program, in an attempt to equip parolees with the tools needed to be successful. This program helps inmates find housing, employment, and health services. It also helps inmates to re-establish positive relationships with family and friends. This is important because if we had more programs similar to Dr. McKune, the level of recidivism would decrease significantly because parolees would have more to live for instead of repeating the same mistakes again that caused their incarceration in the first place. Dr. McKune says “We are already starting to have an impact, parole and probation officers are becoming less punitive and more about, ‘How can I help this person?”

According to Sentencing Law and Policy (2016) “more than 600,000 citizens return to neighborhoods across America after serving time in federal and state prisons,” 67% of those offenders get re-incarcerated within eight to twelve months after being released. A good friend of mine was locked up for burglary and armed robbery, he was incarcerated for about four years and when he was released he said that it took him a couple months to get back on his feet and adjust to being back in society. “Being in jail can change your whole perspective of life itself” he said, he wouldn’t recommend any one visit a place like that. He said “the only places that would employ him were fast food restaurants, because they were the only ones who would accept someone with a record. Until now, he currently works as a truck driver.

Outside source correction officer - One of the reasons people go back to prison is because of pressure. While in jail all the inmates every day needs are taken care of. They have a place to sleep, they are fed, bathed and clothed but when they are released they fail to fend for themselves. After prison is even harder because it is very difficult for them to get a job. Many feel as if they're not just going to be broke and sitting around, so more times than not they're going back to the things that landed them in prison the first place. In prison there are many different rules and guidelines that you wouldn’t follow on the outside. For instance: sexual activities, if you’re the one receiving and not getting than there’s nothing wrong that. The food the prison system is absolutely nasty to the point that people will kill over it.  Inmates will use that to their advantage, they sell things such as snacks just to get people set up to be killed.  When inmates get money put on their books other inmates watch who gets the most money or a significant amount and plot on them. For example: there was an inmate that had his grandma put money on his books and people noticed to they threatened to beat him up critically if she didn’t put money on their books too and sure enough when she didn’t they severely beat him and they had to send him to a different block. That is just one of the many horrific stories that occur in prison.

Interview questions

1. explain the crime you committed

2. Knowing that the things you were doing could potentially land you in jail why did you  

keep doing those things

3. How is the everyday life in prison explain the good times and bad times.

4. Does jail change your perspective on the outside world after being released

5.how did you adjust back to society

6. What are some restrictions that you have.

7.  What do you think should be done to help out people who have been released from

prison  

People typically don’t care about how others end up in jail so when it occurs they don’t think twice about it so by detailing this story people can get a better understanding as to why inmates end up back in jail and maybe then we can try and fix the problem.

Interview employers

Research the different styles of imprisonment in different countries
             In norway citizens rarely go to jail and when they do the chances of being reincarnated are slim what keeps this country like this is a system they use. In Chinese Prinsion it is said that “inner cell was the same size but held 30 prisoners, all sleeping on the concrete floor. There were no blankets or pillows and the room was so crowded that most prisoners slept on their sides with arms draped over each other like embracing couples (Prison Legal news, 2014), and in Russia “For every 160 people there were maybe three or four working toilets, four or five taps in the washing facilities, no showers - and that's the very least of it, (Made for Minds, 2016).

Reference:

http://www.apa.org/monitor/2011/05/prison.aspx

http://sentencing.typepad.com/sentencing_law_and_policy/reentry_and_community_supervision/page/2/

https://www.prisonlegalnews.org/news/2014/jun/22/inside-chinese-prison-americans-perspective/