Element Print Project 2011

- What is your element?

My element is Nitrogen.

- What are some things your element are used for?

Some things my element is used for is producing ammonia and fertilizers, and its used to manufacture nitric acid.

- How did you come up with the idea for your print?

I came up with the idea of my project by the fact that nitrogen is in all living things. That is were I got the idea for the earth part of my print. I also found out that the the word nitrogen means "burnt air". That is where I got the idea for the fire on half of the earth.

- What steps did you take from your idea for the print to the final print?

The first step of this project was to research a meaning behind the common idea of your element. It was very important for us not to pick the first idea that came into our mind. We picked three of our ideas and sketched then in our sketchbooks. Then we picked one and traced the good one onto a block. Then we cut out either the negative or positive space of our drawing. We then printed four prints with the carved block. 

- What are your thoughts on the project?

I liked this project, except for the carving part. The carving was really hard to do. My favorite part was making the prints. This project taught me how to turn simple negative space drawings and make them into something bigger, like these prints. Before this quarter I didn't know much about negative space drawings. Now I have learned a lot and am very happy with my print.

- What would you do differently if you did this project again?

If I was going to do this project again, I would most likely of researched more and gone a bit farther behind the element to get my idea. 

element project
element project