Emily Maggiano's Bottle cap flowers~

.:Artist Statement:.

In our senior art class, we were exploring the topic of recycling and the environment, primarily focusing our attention on bottle caps. For my project I choose to make flowers out of bottle caps. Unlike plastic bottle caps, beer-bottle caps can be recycled. Beer-bottle caps are made from steel, as evidenced by their attraction to magnets, and steel is a recyclable material. I wanted to make flowers out of the bottle caps, because quite frankly I think real flowers are a waste of money-they’re beautiful for about a week and then they die. So this bottle cap flowers last for as long as you want. You won’t feel bad about throwing them out either because they can be recycled. My dad helped me with the cutting and flattening of the bottle caps, because he didn't want me working with power tools...but I glued and tied the red bottle caps on the big flower and the medium one.

Work in progress:

Photo on 2010-10-27 at 17.24Photo on 2010-11-03 at 15.44

Steps:
  1. Cleaned the bottle caps
  2. Flattened some of them, and cut some of them
  3. Drilled little holes in some so I could connect them to each other
  4. Some I super glued, like the bigger one
  5. Cut the edges off of some so they fit together in and on the body of the flower.
  6. Got stems for my flowers, and cut out the bottom of them so they would connect and super glued them together for more support.

.:The Finished Product of my art benchmark:.

Photo on 2010-11-05 at 11.00Photo on 2010-11-05 at 11.00 #2Photo on 2010-11-05 at 11.00 #3
The pictures above are the less flattering pictures that I first took of my art project. When I started to get such good feedback and complements on the pictures from my classmates and Mrs. Hull, I decided that I should take an individual picture of each flower, since they're all different.
I picked a black background, because I've always loved photographs like that. I think that when the background is black, and there is a flash on the camera the it brings out the subject in a really pretty way.
photophoto(3)photo(2)photo(6)photo(5)photo(7)photo(4)