Macbeth the Documentary

MACBETH the Documentary Feature

For this project, I worked with my good pal Aracely

One of the greatest questions of Macbeth was, what was the real truth behind it? Before we get to that let me introduce you to Macbeth, by William Shakespeare. In a nutshell, it is about a Lord turned King who made some wrong choices on his way to the top. It is a tragedy, thriller and sometimes a comedy, you egghead! Keeping that in mind and that burning question we asked in the beginning, we decided to do a documentary, a Macbethamentary!

The purpose of the Macbethamentary was so we could answer, what was the real truth behind Macbeth. We also decided that to add a twist of comedy to it, so it could not all be just grey, like most of the settings in the book. What was the end product was a film that embodied both the main characters in the book and the actual life of the people.

We achieved this by interviewing the characters and the real life version of the characters, for example we interviewed Macbeth, the main character of the book and Mac Bethad mac Findlaích, the real King of Scotland that actually lived. To add that twist of comedy we reenacted some scenes that we thought were important and most importantly, funny.

Together, we had all types of ups and downs in our decision making, with decisions that stuck and some the crumbled. Some of the decision we kept that stuck like a leech were the interviews. Which we added to answer the main question and let the audience know what the real and fake version of the character thought about the book and aspects of it. As a team we added the comedic and important scenes so we could lighten the mood. Also, while reading the book we saw comic relief in a serious book, which reminded us about a certain show, the Office! That is why we added both the interviews and the scenes, which made a dynamic duo in our film.

When you watch the film, keep the question in mind and when you finish it, try to answer it based on what was shown. Try to think about how the real characters felt about being portrayed a certain way. Do not though try to be serious throughout the film, because the other main goal was to add a comedic twist you egghead!

Blog post by Aracely

Video editing by Jane

Karston Singleton (Student 2022)
Karston Singleton

This was very fun to watch!! I like how you took the characters and put them in a really interesting way. You guys had amazing detail on the characters and how they would react in this situation

Karston Singleton (Student 2022)
Karston Singleton