English lit log

SOUNDTRACK // Redo (or make in the first place) the soundtrack for the film. Choose at least five songs that you would include. Write an explanation for each song: why would you include it, and how does the song connect to events in the film? (750 words)

The movie I’ve chosen is rear window

Smoking out the window bruno mars: and I’ve chosen this song because of the name in the movie James Stewart is forced to stay in the window in his New York courtyard in 1954 and I know at the time a lot of adults/people in general smoked cigarettes at one point in the movie grace kelly’s character was in James Stewart’s room smoking a cigarette and he seemed to be fine with it indicating that he probably often smokes too or had smoked before he became a news photographer

The lazy song by bruno Mars: I choose this song because the main character (james) couldn’t seem to stop looking out the window being stuck in the house and instead of being lazy he seems to be up and as active as possible when he has the perfect excuse to be lazy and just enjoy his time off from work

Empire State of mind by jay-Z and I’m choosing this song because the movie is set in New York and in this song jay Z vividly describes New York and you look around in this courtyard they live in it’s a small part of New York and through the alleyway we can see the rest of this huge city we all know and we all love

City of gods by fivio foreign and I’ve chosen this song because it also talks about New York and about how the city needs to go easy on Alicia keys, in the movie it seems to go fairly easy on the people who live in this small corner of the world in New York

Photograph by j cole- I choose this song because this song is about taking photographs and in the song j cole talks about not even knowing the persons name who he has pictures of and when our mc in rear window takes pictures he rarely knows anyones name he just takes pictures to see what’s going on and he calls everyone by what he sees through the lens for example the married couple he doesn’t know either of there names he just sees them close the blinds and assumes something is happening although the character he started spying on he knew the name of most likely because he’s spoken to him before

Enemy by imagine dragons and jid- I choose this song because at some point in the movie it seems like the main character becomes enemies with the man who he suspects murdered his own wife he sends his girlfriend over into his apartment to spy around when it wasn’t necessary unless he didn’t seem to like him or they where Enemies and the man at one point walks into the main characters apartment unwelcomed to try and kill him because the main character was spying on him and actively watching him commit his crime to his wife

Day n nite kid cudi- I choose this song because our main character was injured and sat and looked through the window day and night and cudi on the song talks about how the lonely loner gets to free his mind and it seemed like at night out main character freed his mind then the next day started over again with the camera watching everyone in the courtyard go about there day without even knowing them and often he would keep the lights off in his apartment to try and stay anonymous and hidden so a bit like stalking

All of the lights by Kanye west - in the movie everyone had all of there lights on and it was very vibrant and bright but not our main character he always had turned his lights off again to stay hidden while he stalked everyone but even the man who murdered his wife kept his lights on whenever even when he left out to follow the ransom note that was left by our main character

Cameras by wiz Khalifa- I choose this song because it’s obvious that the movie is based around that camera especially the fact that he is a news reporter outside in the real world and his life revolves around him filming the scoop and getting whatever is important and broadcasting whatever is interesting in the world