Family Ties

I hate him. I can’t believe he actually did it. I made that face again. The one he hates, the one that he says makes me look miserable and snobbish. I shouldn’t have done it, it was me pushing him to the edge but still, he hit me. I should be mad right? But I can’t help feeling this guilt. No, no, he’s the wrong one, no one should ever hit their child, no matter what. He’s not an abuser, obviously, I know that. He only hit me once. Just this one time because I was being disrespectful. I talked back when he told me to fix my face.

I know I egged him on when I refused to smile. Why the hell did I push him to hit me? I knew he was having a bad day, but I still decided to make that face. Should I apologize?

No, I can’t. I can’t keep acting happy when I’m not. It’ll only make him think that what he did was right. I don’t want him to hit me or you again. I wish he wasn’t our father. At least our mother was able to escape him. You and I both know that he beat her. I still remember when she used to sleep in our bed and when she would wake up the next morning with bruises on her arms and legs. I know you remember it too. I know you remember him waking her up the next morning with little gifts to make her forget about what had happened the night before.

(sister speaks)

I know we’re his children but that doesn’t mean it’ll stop him from hurting us like he did to mom. I don’t want to stay here anymore. It’s not safe. A father is supposed to provide protection not create an unsafe environment. He makes me- both of us feel weak, vulnerable.

(sister speaks)

He hit me here! Just because you can’t see it doesn’t mean it didn’t hurt and it certainly doesn’t justify his actions. Look, I know he’s our father. I know that, but he isn’t fit to be one. I’ve heard the way he’s talked to you. You’re only twelve and he’s cursing at you for making a small mistake. I know how meek and small you feel when he lectures you because I was once in your place. But now I’m sixteen and I have only two more years before I can leave this hellhole and never see him again. But I won’t if it means you are going to be alone with him.

Mom was right to leave all those years ago. If she had stayed, who knows what would’ve happened? I wish she had taken us with her. She was our only outlet. I’m not gonna do what mom did to us. I won’t abandon you. We need to leave here or this might only get worse.

What’s going to stop him from making us his next victim?

I don’t want him to hurt you too.

(dad calls main character)

It’s ok.

I know you’re sorry.

I love you too.

I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have talked back to you.

I know.

I love you.

Ok.

(returns back to sibling)

He apologized.

Those things I said, it’s just what I felt in the moment. We all say things we don’t mean sometimes. Please don’t tell him that I said I hated him because I really do love him. He’s a good father and sometimes he gets upset just like every other parent. I overreacted, that’s all. I could never hate my father. I love him.

Charnay Kirkland (Student 2021)
Charnay Kirkland

NUALA!! This is such a good story!!! You did such a good job emulating the perspective of an abused child, and why they decide to stay most of the time. This is something that I have quite a bit of experience with, and I think that most (if not all) of the story was very relative of a situation that I've been in. What I'm trying to say, basically, is that you did a great job speaking from that perspective.

Lucas Capitolo (Student 2021)
Lucas Capitolo

I think that your twist was really good and unexpected, I wasn't thinking that the main character would make up with her father again. Also you don't see a lot of pieces where the mother is the one who left, so that adds to the uniquness

Saniyyah Ray (Student 2021)
Saniyyah Ray

I really liked your monologue. Thus story is very relevant in today's world. Kids get abused by their parents but they are so brainwashed into thinking that because they are their parents that it is okay but it's not. You shows that, you showed how kids are brainwashed because at the end when the dad apologized the main person speaking said she loved him and that it was ok.

Isabella Torres (Student 2021)
Isabella Torres

This moved me in a way where I felt sympathy and pity for the main character. Her father is obviously abusive, but she never really admits that. She also talks about how her mother left and how she wanted to go with her. But after her father says sorry, she just forgets everything he ever did that was wrong.

Sophia Paul (Student 2021)
Sophia Paul

What moved me emotionally was the story with the brother and sister and how the mo just left. That is very emotional and since the sister is younger, the brother doesn't want to be like the mother and leave his sibling alone. The writing does this by explaining how the father abused the mother and why the mother left.