Film Lit Log #2 - Poster - Psycho

For the second lit log, I decided to revise a movie poster for Alfred Hitchcock’s Psycho. The way this poster was laid out was mainly inspired by Marion’s death scene and continued with some tools and elements that are included in the movie. I renamed the movie on the poster as “The Room.” The room refers to the hotel room, basement room, office room, and the room where “Mrs. Bates” lives in. By renaming The Room I’m also referring to the spaces that we see in those places and the way the camera frames the size of different scenes. Some of them are more open spaces and some are more limited spaces. Using Marion’s death as an example, she’s inside a bathroom of a hotel room. Both spaces are open and limited depending on where the part of the room you are. When she walks in to take a shower, then there’s limited space for her, and when she gets stabbed the camera had zoom in a close for the shot and the frame was limited space that we can only see a certain part as well as limited space where she’s standing. As I had mentioned in the stabbing scene, that’s where the knife on the right corner comes from and the blood splashes around the title. I want it to make it as the blood comes from the knife stabbing and it splashes everywhere. The knife had not just used in Marion’s death scene, but also it comes up again in the later scene when Bates tries to kill Lila. Given the clue, I’m also assuming that the knife that “Mrs. Bates,” which is Bates uses, is the tool that represents him. The bottom half of the poster is more picturing the scene of the motel location and the surroundings, as well as the car representing Marion’s death. The car shows a relationship between the money Marion took in the beginning and her death in the motel and where she got put in the back trunk after. If she doesn’t steal the money and run away, maybe she wouldn’t be dead. The trees and the reflections are representing it’s around the lake because Bates had put her in the trunk and drowned the car down the lake. This is also the reason why the car is sided so it looks like it’s going down. The splash of blood on the bottom was to make it represent Marion is dead and is in the back of the trunk. The overall color of the poster is black because the film was in black and white. The tittles and blood are red are referring to the movie’s genre of horror and thriller that makes people think it’s scary. In conclusion, this was the inspiration for me to revise the poster, and I hope the poster catches your attention!

PSYCHO
PSYCHO