Final Stamp Design - Ossowski

For the past 4 days, I have been developing my knowledge on negative and positive space. I came to think of it as positive space is the actual picture while negative space is the background. With this project you are to pick a picture, cut out the positive space and leave the negative space alone. The hard part was seeing the negative space in the positive pace. I had to picture the symbol i was doing as two different colors then cut out as I pictured it.

I’ve learned that artists use this to make different art pieces. They use this to see how the negative space surrounds the positive space. Artists use this tool to show the image easily. If the picture is a solid image, the negative and positive space are easy to detect, however if the picture has no negative space, it is hard to detect what the picture is sometimes. They can use this tool to show emotion. If there is a animal looking sad, it's raining, there is a lot of negative space, you are going to think that the image is trying to portray as sad.

For this stamp, I picked the “Deathly Hallows” sign from “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows”. Ever since I was a little girl, I was obsessed with Harry Potter and everything about it, including the story of the three brothers (where the Deathly Hallows sign originated from). This sign I liked because it could go with any color, the positive space could be red and the negative space blue. . This sign consists of a triangle with a circle in the middle then a straight line down the middle. I thought this would be a good sign to portray the lesson of negative and positive space because there is negative space that intersects with the positive space. I had to cut out the spaces inbetween the lines so you could see the actual picture. You can easily see the picture of the Deathly Hallows sign with the black and white combination (Black being the positive space and white being the negative space).

This project has given me a different perspective on what artwork is and how artists see it. Now whenever I look at a picture or painting I will look for the negative and positive space in it. I will know the difference on what is the negative and positive space. I will be able to tell what the picture is conveying through the negative or positive space. I hope this helped you know what negative and positive space is and I hope that you will use it to your advantage also.
20170512_125052-01
20170512_125052-01