Flora Hernandez Capstone

For my capstone project, I wanted to learn about the differences in resources for different genders for high school sports, mostly focusing on girls soccer. I created a survey asking various questions about schools and the resources they receive overtime as well as who is receiving these resources. I wanted to understand the ways that we can help to make sports more equitable for all athletes. I researched Title IX since it was the 50th year anniversary last year. I also researched some other policies that can help make things more equitable for girl athletes. I created a google slides presentation reviewing my research and data results, including an infographic on the policy I found when I started my capstone.I chose this topic because throughout my high school career, I was only able to play for the varsity girls soccer team for two years due to injury. So, I wanted to make sure that my senior year was a really strong year. But unfortunately, our school didn’t have as many resources, opportunities, or dedication as the other schools we played against. As a result, I created a survey for different coaches to respond to in order to compare the results with my school. I want to bring to light the differences in schools and genders and resources. The first core value of SLA is Inquiry and the way I used that in my capstone was by creating and sending out my survey, and looking for policies related to title IX.There are differences in public and private schools in the way sports are managed and supported. There is also a huge difference in boys and girls teams in general. Some of the important things are coach dedication and fundraising.

Senior Capstone FHM  (1)
Bibliography