Heights

Heights

Ever since  I was young,  I was always afraid of heights. I will never forget an experience I had at an amusement park I don't really  recall anything in particular   that   made me afraid of heights until riding my first roller coaster  When get on a ride I would have a  type of  feeling that would make me feel like  I was falling. Before entering an amusement park, , I would get out  of the car feeling nervous, terrified, and  anxious.  I would  see  all these rides,  and  while everyone  would  have a smile on their face  I  would have a straight face because of my fear.  As I was walking through the amusement park, I  wondered  about and observed  all the rides  as I  tried  to relax my mind. I tried to focus on having fun so I can enjoy all the rollercoasters.  After eating funnel cake and ice cream I think about  maybe  putting my fear aside and getting on one of the highest roller coasters   in the park. all I see are high roller coasters surrounded by me.  

As we walk, through the park I  hear  my cousins say how they want to get on all the rides while I'm shaking in my shoes. I look at the superman roller coaster but decided that  it would be too scary for me  the green lantern.  Im standing in this long line with my cousins waiting to goon. While I was waiting all I hear were people screaming and I  saw  a upside down loop  that made  me want to get out of line. “Come on mayah your getting on the ride you’r not going to get out this line  my cousins said I’m going to get on the ride”.  We got closer to the front and before I knew it,  we were up next.  I stepped on the roller coaster and sat down. I was so scared that I zoned out and couldn't wait for the ride to be over  I heard them secure the lock and then tell me to put my hands while   hey double check the locks.  The roller coaster started going up slowly and when it reached the top it paused and everyone including myself was screaming before it dropped . I was holding on to my cousin’s  hand so hard that I thought for dear life.  While waiting for the ride to drop my eyes was closed through the whole entire ride and screaming like I never going to screamed again I opened my eyes for one second and closed them back up as soon as I knew it the ride was over. When I got off the ride I felt so good because I overcame my fear.

even though I got on one of the most scariest  rides.

I learned to overcome your fear you have to try it. After that rollercoaster ride I felt more comfortable on other roller coasters  Still feeling nervous  but I felt really good overcoming my fear of heights.  Some people may look at you and feel that someone my age shouldn't be afraid of a roller coaster ride  Fear has no age limit. By the end of the day,  I felt so good leaving the park and my family had a great time because I was ok and was enjoying myself. Its really great when you are fearful of things and the people who you're with don't force you or make you feel embarrassed about your fear but instead be patient and care about how you feel.   Even though I overcame my fear of that ride I will take my time to get on it again.   To me fear means being frightened by something you are afraid of by overcoming having fear is not always a good thing to have because you don't want it to hold you back in life.  I would never want my fear to hold me back from my dreams and goals. I can't imagine allowing heights to keep me fearful because after college pursuing my professional career. Just always remember try to overcome your fear and to work through it.

Lamar Reed (Student 2020)
Lamar Reed

I like this story a lot Amayah and it's very encouraging, well at least to me it is. Takes me back to when I rode a roller coaster for the first time, the difference between us though is that I don't have a fear of heights and that I had my eyes open during the ride. I was still nervous though!!