HIV/AIDS: The Last Blog

​Hey everybody, as you know my name is Shyann Davis and this is my last blog post about HIV/AIDS awareness. In Blog Post 1 I talked about the basic things you should know about HIV/AIDS. These are sexually transmitted diseases and can cause damage to your genital area. One major fact I found out was every 9 minutes and 30 seconds someone is infected with HIV or AIDS. In Blog Post 2 I talked about HIV/AIDS but from a perspective of the LGBTQ community. I talked about the importance for them to feel welcomed and are able to be open about it if they have HIV/AIDS because if they aren’t respected to do what they want the HIV/AIDS could do long term damage.
In this blog post I will be talking about my agent of change. On May 30, 2017 me and a bunch of students from school wore red. Red is the color of the ribbons for HIV/AIDS awareness. They also took pictures of themselves and posted it under the hashtag #HIVAIDSWOKE. I wanted to do this type of Agent of Change because a lot of people use social media these days so I thought that if I was able to get it out vocally and with the help of technology it would go far. My goal was to have 15 people wear red and 15 people post the hashtag. I achieved both of those goals. Exactly 15 people wore red and 23 people posted the hashtag.

Doing this was very fun. I didn’t expect so many people to participate in my Agent of Change. So many people got involved and I was so happy. Even one of my friends from California got involved and got her friends to participate as well. I was effective in making a change because I got my word out there. I put a daily reminder on Snapchat (a popular social media spot) and put a memo in the advisory memo. I walked around the classroom and asked students personally to be apart of my change and teachers were involved as well. I feel very proud of the amount of people that got involved in my Agent of Change. I did doubt myself in the beginning of the day on my Agent of Change. But then when all of these students started walking in with red on and I got back-to-back notifications about hashtags that were being put up I stopped doubting myself and I felt really confident.

What I learned about other people was that they have actual feelings. And when I say this I am not kidding, most people I believed in the beginning of the year I didn’t think had feelings or cared about how others felt. But over the course of the year I realized they do care about Orange stream and even though we rarely get along we always are family in the end. But after seeing their Agent of Change and project I see they care about the world as well. What I could have done better in this project was get my interview. My interview might have added into my project and gave a professional view to this. But overall I am really proud of my project and am glad that I got the awareness out there.