How bad catcalling is

Catcalling is a form of street harassment that should not be tolerable, it is impolite and rude.

When women get catcalled they think that it’s vulgar and it is degrading. However some women like the attention. Unlike women, most men think that it is a compliment and when they don’t answer back there are a slut. When men do this they are looking for a women with low self esteem and problems so that they can get sex. My goal is to inform men what they doing to women and open there eyes to see how wrong it is.

An anti-harassment group took a survey about women and the age they were first catcalled. Sometimes they said over the age of 17, however most women said they were first catcalled between the ages 11 and 17. This is really foul not just because that it’s catcalling but that they are saying these things to teens. It scares them and makes them really nervous of what might happen. When a man catcalls it mainly means that they want something sexual from them. And when they do it to teens it makes it even more vile because they are saying they want something from the teens sexually.

20170601_201621.jpg

Catcalling has been around for centuries and dates back all the way to 200 B.C. However it wasn’t called catcalling but the wolf whistle. This term is carries a predatory connotation which acts as a symbol for wolves which is an example of male lust. The actual word catcaller started in the 1700s which was a way for people in the theater to express the disapproval for the acts on stage. They would sneer and whistle and the actors to show this. The way the catcalling is used in a sexual manner didn’t actually start until the 20th century.

20170601_201108-01.jpeg

A reporter from Australia named Eleanor Gordon-Smith is interviewed by a woman named Ira. Smith talks about her experience with being catcalled and her stories when she confronted the men about it and got there thoughts. Her goal was to find out why these men did what they do. One of Smith’s story is about how she confronted her catcallers Mike and Zack  and how she tried to convince them to not catcall ever again. During their conversation Zack says that he does it because it makes women feel good while in reality it doesn’t. He also admitted to smacking a girls ass if they are in a group but only in a group, never alone. She keeps trying to convince him that women don’t actually like it and the only reason why the smile and act like they like it is because it is a defense mechanism. They do it to prevent it from doing anything physical to them such as rape. In the end she convinces them to no longer smack a woman's ass.

Screenshot_20170526-120730.png

Throughout the years catcalling has been happening everywhere and dates back to 200 B.C. However it has been used in different form, it was first used to show male lust, then it was used to show anger at the actors at a show, and finally it is used to call out at a girl to show interest in her. It is happening to people as young as 11 years old which is very vile. Men typically do this to complement a women and to say hello or it means that they want sex from them. They get the feeling that women like it because they smile but this reaction is only a defense mechanism to keep anything violent from happening.

Bibliography