Humanities Final Portfolio 2013

Screen shot 2013-06-11 at 2.40.09 PM
Screen shot 2013-06-11 at 2.40.09 PM

“From the roots of a tree to the branches of it, you can see the changing colors of the season. Almost time to wear coats but not precisely. It’s like knocking the wind out of you. The warmth of summer so quickly replaced by the warmth of sweaters scarves and pumpkin coffee. Fall is beautiful.” was one of the things that I wrote in my journal. I learned so much from this unit as well.  Not the changing colors because of the seasons but how fast something can change. Like I changed throughout my sophomore year. It wasn’t a negative change nor positive. But it was an original change. The originality of specific things.  Originality is pushing yourself beyond personal boundaries.

In fall of 2012, I began my English and history course for my sophomore year. I was looking forward to the year because of the work I heard about during my freshmen year. The thing that inspired me the most or at least kept me myself through the entire  academic year would most likely be the history journal 19. The journal question asked “ what is your universe of obligation? I thought to myself . But it did not take me too long to answer this question. I knew what was keeping me strong for the year. It was my family. My family is my support system and regardless having fun time or an education or even a job, they came first because that’s what kept me going and motivated. We also learned about spirituality during the unit. I am a strong believer in the Catholic religion so I felt like the unit connected to who I was in several ways. And even though we did not study how Catholicism began or even talk about Christianity, I had the opportunity to write or express my thoughts of what spirituality really is in a journal entry.  But although I felt comfort writing about my religion on a piece of paper, I had to pass that boundary. I had to push myself to strive for something bigger, for something better and for something more unique.

we were already in the middle of the academic school year and I was feeling sluggish. Just not caring about anything because I felt like I already knew everything but I reality I didn’t.  During one for the classes, we were searching up inequality in other countries. We found out about sweatshops. this was it. A way to get out of my boundaries. Journal 32, explains how industrialization is positive because it has led to many more job opportunities for many people and has made the economy rise. But then it talks about how it is negative because of all the pollution and negativity going on due to the factory opening. And then journal 33 talks about all the negativity that goes on because of the factories. It talks about sweatshops. I think that this moment was the perfect moment for  me to get out of my boundaries. I didn’t  want to buy anything created by sweatshops but it was basically impossible due to the simple fact that everything is created by them and if they are not then it is super expensive. Also, I tried another alternative which was making it myself. I didn't know how to make clothes but also most of the fabrics were manufactured in sweatshops so I wasn’t actually able to accomplish much.. Right now, I am gathering as much information possible and see what things can be put into action to stop sweatshops from still being in business.

You see, many things were learned this unit. Everything from being comfortable with yourself and how others do not have the chance to be comfortable at all. We also learned about how the only way to survive was to do things in unison.  We did a journal entry that ties everything up so neatly. Since I am such a family oriented person  my journal entry was about my experience in puerto rico. it was in my personal boundary but it was original. if you wanna read more, CLICK THIS LINK, to read the journal.

Whatever happens when all the leaves fall from the tree? It may feel lonely or frightened, it may not be the prettiest, but when spring comes all you have to remember is that april showers bring may flowers. Every moment you have to stand out should be taken because thats what originality is. And thats what I learned this year. If something really interests you, go for it. You may be pointed at or signaled but just like the tree in the winter, it realized that it bloomed in spring.

If you want to read more pieced of wrinting, please visit my POETRY page.