Insights from Chapter Six

In chapter six of The Handmaid’s Tale, Gilead is still being introduced to us as readers, and so is Offred. I first noticed Offred’s word choice on the first page while beginning this chapter. “We walk, sedately” (30) is how she describes her and Ofglen’s stroll into town for groceries. This line stood out to me just because it’s strange. I had never heard this word before, but I used my best judgment to assume what it meant as I read. It’s a curious word to choose, although using it in this context makes sense. While it means to do something “in a quiet, relaxed, or slow way without excitement or risk,” that’s not how I first thought about it. I imagined Offred and Ofglen walking like they were under sedation (obviously, since that’s where the word comes from), dazed or unconcerned with their surroundings. I doubt this was a careless choice by Atwood, so there is meaning to be uncovered. Using this specific word means something to the world-building. Offred and Ofglen’s movements, described as “sedately,” insinuate a slowness to their walking. I think this is because of their lack of enthusiasm and their medical/incapacitated state.

The line directly after that one also struck me as peculiar; “The sun is out, in the sky there are white fluffy clouds, the kind that look like headless sheep.” (30). I feel like the average person wouldn’t have noticed that darker shape in clouds. Like, wouldn’t cotton balls have made more sense? So I got the feeling that she only made this observation because of the current situation she is in, being a Handmaid. This glum and wicked world is becoming normal to her, so maybe she just naturally thought about headless sheep. I took this quote as Atwood trying to portray that Offred’s perspective is changing (in minute ways like this) as she spends more time in Gilead.

As I continued to read, other quotes stuck out to me. Ofglen and Offred continue their walk and pass by the football stadium. She points out that Men’s Salvagings are held there, “As well as the football games. They still have those” (31). I thought this was such a curious note to make. She’s referring to (what I’ve gathered are public) executions and then quickly switches to the fact that they still hold football games. It’s a stark contrast, referring to the continuation of certain traditions from “before” in a world that differs from what Offred was born into. This book often forces the reader to consider what life would be like if you were in Gilead, and how you would react to the abrupt changes. To think of holding public executions, that you were forced to go to, is kind of crazy. Offred has been in Gilead for a few years, and as I put myself into her shoes, I can’t imagine getting used to seeing that. Again, Atwood is doing this on purpose; she wants the readers to grapple with the new “normal” of this world and how it seems like people transitioned quite easily.