Into The Wilds

In my first blog post about wildlife preservation I talked about all of the places out there that helped endangered animals. So for to further expand my knowledge and research I visited the John Heinz National Wildlife Refuge. I did a field observation of half of the trail and was able to spot some animals out and about. Since I went in the morning there was not much to see because most animals came out at night but what I did find was enough for what I needed.

The data I gathered was abe to help in my original research because I was able to see how much of an issue wildlife preservation is. While at the refuge I saw birds, swans, and even some horses. The animals themselves aren’t constantly cared for like you would see at a zoo but the ones here just live like they would in the wild but without having to worry about the dangers of being killed. So comparing this to what I heard about all of the endangered animals has really opened my eyes more as to how bad they have it.

Something I still have questions about is how are the rescued endangered animals cared for. Since I know that there are ones out there that find help they need and are going extinct for different reasons, I wonder how they are cared for. Another question I have which is revolved around this is how do the animals in the wildlife get there food. If all animals there are to be protected then how can they at least surrive food wise. For example if there was an eagle that ate squirrels in the wildlife, but that squirrel was also there for protection then how does it work out so that both can survive?

While at the wildlife center there are some things that I observed and noticed. One of those things were that the other people there were mostly adults and more importantly with there own pets. There were a few kids I noticed there but they were also with parents. But one of the adults I noticed there was actually there to take pictures just like me, except he seemed a lot more professional. He had an actual camera and possible a notepad with him. If I could have stayed longer i would have asked him if he came to this place daily or what other places he went to. Looking back on what I did there only made me realize what more I could have done.

To end it all off I think that my field observation went well. In the future I would have liked to find more animals since was a little bit harder to do during the morning and also maybe ask around from other people on what they have seen here.

Nickell Caesar (Student 2021)
Nickell Caesar

Zach you being able to speak about something that is overlooked at so often, is powerful and can really open someones eyes to such an important topic, saving our planet's wildlife.

Nickell Caesar (Student 2021)
Nickell Caesar

Carol Lopez (Student 2021)
Carol Lopez

I live near here! Also I find this very interesting because I never actually thought about if anyone cares for the animals. But I have a question, just from you watching how do you know nobody cares about the animals?

Kankoue Folly (Student 2021)
Kankoue Folly

I read your essay during the first blog post and you continually impress me with your essays. I love how you choose images that complete your post and how your annotated bibliography is very informative.