Jacket Benchmark

Trevor Noah's Born a Crime influenced my memoir in multiple ways. One impact it had was the ways Trevor would write about time, days, and his school experiences. He would write about the important and interesting events, then write abouts his thoughts, then would continue on to get to the interesting points again. I definitely tried to replicate the ways he would do this, specifically the way he wrote about school days, in my memoir, and I think it ended up making my memoir more interesting to read through. Noah’s writing style definitely impacted the way I wrote in this memoir as well. The way he would cut up the story at points to add a bit of his own opinion/personality through a little quote or something seemed like a good idea to add to my own memoir if I was to do something similar. So I then tried to add the same thing, but not as a way to add an element like humor, and more as a way to add context to my thoughts and understanding of the situation at time that the story is taking place. This is because I’m trying to get my point/story through with a lot less words than Trevor Noah has with his book. My memoir did explain the culture of covid 19 to an outside audience. I did this by showing how I felt about covid when it started up, then writing about how it became a much bigger deal. I also explained how it was a virus and the public's view on it. This should be all the information anyone would need to know about covid “culture” if they didn’t live through it.

English Benchmark (Rough Draft) (1)

Reese Covalle (Student 2024)
Reese Covalle

I like how you connected something so small as a jacket, which are the little things you don't think too much about until you realize that those things were the small moments of things we take for granted. I remember I brought a baby yoda puzzle to school for everyone to do and still haven't gotten it back- I think it's something a lot of people can relate to as well.

Adrie Young (Student 2024)
Adrie Young

I really like how you've combined the small experience of losing a jacket, that may not have been super impactful normally, with the life-changing experience of COVID. The contrast makes the story super interesting!