Jaime Vaquero

“Identity+Language=You”

“Whuya Meee! STOP KECKING! Para, Por Favor, Me duele!” I yelled

“NO, Shut up, you STUPID MEXICAN!!? ENGLISH!!!” Yelled the boy that was kicking.

“Stop, PLEESES!?” I yelled as the pain started burn as if they sat my body on fire.

I was the bullies punching bag, or as they said “The MEXICAN trash bag”. I’d sometimes wish that I was die. Not being able to pronounce word in the  third-fifth grade, it makes you stupid, dumb and worthless, that you're no good in this world. I didn’t know why people bullied me for. I’d cried all night, wishing that someday it would stop, and wishing to correct my english too! English is too hard!

“I no like thet projeck” I get made fun off for a long time from these stupid project, reason was about me and where I’m from and all the other thing. This was my second year at Olney Elementary School. The year before, people kept asking me where you taco, other  asking “Can you go do yard” I’d cried because I was scared, I never did nothing about, because I was weak, fat and slow at everything. People didn’t like me, maybe because I wasn’t cool for them. Many people said that I was stupid for what I did, for example I’d help the teacher clean up in whatever we did in class. My parents raise to help people and care and not be mean or rude to other, so that people wouldn’t do back. I was that one kid that the teachers like but not the student.

“Stupid!”

“Ugly monkey!”

“Go make me taco! Or go my yard!”

This was all 4th grade year. It was that dumb project, people don’t need to know where I’m from and what I do or don’t, what I believe and don’t. All I had is to go thought the year, i’ll start soft, but end strong.
A year later, school is about to start in 2 weeks for now. Summer was a peacefully time where I don’t have to worry about people messing with me or other thing like that. Summer goes by fast, it splits by our hands and you have to go to school, that is when my worrying start, only for me (sadly!!!).

“Mi hijo, despertate, la escula esta a punto de comenzar...Rapido Mi Hijo!!!”

“No, madre, no quiero, Por Favor!!!

“Rapido o te meto tu chinga!!”

“Ok, ja voy!!”

Who knew that even days could go by fast too! School was up now. (I’d wished that I was dead!!!)

“What the hell is he wearing on his feet?”

“Theyua a tiype uf shoes in mexico…”

“Yo bro, you homeless or wat!”

“HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!”

Great, my day stupid is starting off crappy. One special thing that help me go through the day was learn, learning help ignore these dumb people didn’t know any better. The first day has end, now I have a whole year of school. Great, that was amazing. Second day, it might be better than, yesterday. When I got to school, people were hearing to rape song, in my opinion I didn’t like rap, because they didn’t make sense. Everybody got hype and that, it was just song!

“Yo these song tough right!”

“I guess…”

“What! You GUESS, Yo something is wrong with you, bro, this song is the shit

bro. Oh right, you're mexican, you wouldn’t understand, LOSER”

“Sorry!”

Why was he so rude about, it is just a song. I guess I was supposed to get hype,

just for a song. I got bullied for not liking rap song. People got hype for the most stupidest thing in the world, that they don’t realize that the most important thing the world is your family, not the material that you get. For example, I was happy that I got new shoes, other people in school super hype that they got the new, very prices shoes that were $200 or a shirt that was $50, in my head, that was stupid.

Into the month two, a very big boy was coming from home and I was walking next to him. “HAAA!”(uh-oh, I got to get beat up) I tripped on my shoelace and scrapped his shoes, I think they were jordan.

“Sorry, I’m very sorry. (Inside of me, I was scared as hell, my body was paralyzed)”

“What, loser… look what you did, clean or else you trash bag”

Obviously, I did it, because so far I did get beat up, not yet!! I was happy that he didn’t punch or something like. (Hopefully this school year goes by fast, I need it to)

“Madre, ja es Junio, la escuela java terminar!” I yell to my mother.

“Ja lo es!”

“El verano ja va a empezar!”

School, this school year was a lot better, this was the very first great school, that I had ever have in my 5 years of school. All I had to do is survive the last 4 more day of school.

“3….2….1….I DID IT!!! Summer, YES!! No School, Mean No Worries”

My heart was rushing fast because I had made it through the year, without big problem.

Overall, now I bigger, older, smarter and braver. I’m now in 10th grade, my english has gotten a lot better over the years, and english has many way to be spoking. Identity and language are a great mixture, reasoning why is because without language you wouldn’t like the Identity, and if you know the identity and don’t know the language then what is the point of having that identity, if you don’t know it.

Fodie Camara (Student 2017)
Fodie Camara

This essay was long and great man! I love it dude. I can relate to you in so many ways but english is my first language but I understood and spoke Mandigo more than english. I started just like you and got my english way and way better. This essay drawled me in and I just loved it. Great Job Jamie!

Sianneh Vesslee (Student 2017)
Sianneh Vesslee

A moment that really grabbed me was when you started to describe in detail how you were treated because you spoke differently form the rest of the kids at your school. I was really impressed and I could image the whole scene play out in my head. You really did an amazing job.

Ishmael Brown (Student 2017)
Ishmael Brown

This first part, in the introduction to the story was probably the part that grabbed me the most, it was almost like a drama show with the level of intensity felt, it sucks you right into the story and shows immediately just how serious your situation and your story is. I personally never imagined you with a struggle of speaking English, it has sounded perfect to me, so obviously obviously an improvement here, I would just add a little James Baldwin quote at the end, it would have fit perfectly.

Declan Zisser (Student 2017)
Declan Zisser

One of the things that I really liked about this was the way you wrote. The way you spelled everything gave it a great touch of emphasizing what was happening in the story. Some of the things that I learned was that you went through this because I had no idea, I felt like your English was pretty much the same as mine so I never knew. I would add the quote from an essay.

Haisha Hahsy (Student 2017)
Haisha Hahsy

First off I am going to shout out to Jamilah because she told me "READ JAMIE'S!" I was like ok, and I'm happy that I said ok. The start was the part that grabbed me like it would to most people, because you can already tell that something big and serious is going to happen and you just got to know what will happen in the end. I just didn't know how people bullied you and especially because of something like that it's just messed up. Anyways if I could add anything to this I would add from the bully perspective of how it might have felt afterwards of doing something so stupid. Did they think about at all or did they at least feel bad at a point? P.S. Loved the last sentence.

Adam Cavalier (Student 2017)
Adam Cavalier

A moment that grabbed me was in the beginning with all of the screaming. It brought me to read the rest of the piece and also leave questions as I read. This piece really expresses who you are and how you act to others. I saw another side of you. You should include a quote from a piece we read in class. Great job!

Jun-Jie Zou (Student 2017)
Jun-Jie Zou

The entire essay that you wrote grabbed my attention automatically. I never realize that your history can be like this and I can definitely relate to this because my history was no different. I got bullied a lot too. One new thing I learned from your essay is that you have a great commitment and passion towards your family. One thing I would add to your essay is, the quote from the text we read in class. Great job, Jaime! I really enjoyed reading your essay.

Shaina-Nicole Keenan (Student 2017)
Shaina-Nicole Keenan

The moment that grabbed me was definitely the use of anecdote in the very beginning of the paper. I learned about what makes Jaime who he is, and about his struggles I never knew existed. It made my heart hurt reading all the things he went through, when he is one of the nicest guys I have ever met! If I were to add something, it would definitely be a little more back story in the beginning, and to watch grammar and spelling. There were times when I was reading where I was confused if you were trying to add how you spoke or it was just typos.

Jamilah Woodards (Student 2017)
Jamilah Woodards

Great dialogue and story telling. I never knew any of these things about Jamie besides the fact that English is not his primary language. The introduction was one of my favorite parts. It caught my attention and kept it. I also liked the used of spelling out the words that were being said exactly how they sound. Great job!