Kayla, Tanaia, Anna, Lucia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-G1B-RAvK7k

Kayla Parlin

1. Marxist

2. The White Tiger by Aravind Adiga

3. Corbyn, Jeremy, et al. “Jeremy Corbyn: Brazil’s Insurrection Plotters Are Trying to Destroy Democracy.” Jacobin, 1 Sep. 2023, jacobin.com/2023/01/jeremy-corbyn-brazil-insurrection-attempt-bolsonaro-lula-democracy.

4. This source provides information of a current event both similar to America’s January 6th incident in 2021 and Brazil’s January 8th of 1973. Both these events mark a dark time in history where a powerful politician convinced his supporters to question democracy and wreak havoc on the government. The current event that connects the two is the more recent insurrection attempt in Brazil, instigated by Jair Bolsonaro. In the White Tiger by Aravind Adiga, democracy is nothing but a tactic. In the novel, fingerprints are bought off from citizens by police and used to vote for the Great Socialist while in Brazil, Bolsonaro’s support from the police allowed so many citizens to walk right into Congress, the supreme court and presidential palace. Both the Great Socialist and Bolsonaro look at democracy as something to manipulate for their own gains and, identically enough, both have full support of police and great power to continue to openly do so.

Screenshot 2023-01-17 22.49.43
Screenshot 2023-01-17 22.49.43