Keystone Monologue Project

​In my World History class, we were asked to create 3 monologues focused on the Keystone Pipeline and how it affected different people / environments. This pipeline will transfer crude oil across the united states from Alaska. What this will do is pollute our air, ruin our land, and soil much, much water. My first monologue is about a curious chimpmunk in a tree above the building of the pipeline. My second is about a police officer who decides that he needs to stand up for what he believes in, and my third one is about a small town farmer who's land is going to be destroyed because of the pipeline. I feel the most important one is the chimpunk, because it shows how this pipeline will affect other animals, causing many of them to loose their homes. I hope you enjoy! 

Monologue 1: Jacob The Baby Chipmunk
(Jacob is a baby chipmunk living in the trees above the construction site. He is unaware of what is happening and why.)

*Perched on chair, hands on cheeks*

When will this construction stop? All day long I hear these loud noises and they’re scaring mommy and daddy. Sister says not to worry, the colorful people with drums will save us. So far, they just sit around and refuse to move. I wonder why they’re doing that. Big scary cops try to pry them away, but they just scream and won't get up. I wonder if they’re glued to the ground...

Mr. Turtle told me they’re building a big giant scary pipe to carry gross oil for the humans to use. Why would they do that? They’re destroying my forest and draining the water hole. Are they thirsty? I would be willing to share with the men dressed in orange, but they’re too busy with the colorful people. All they do is fight and scream, I wonder if they’re hungry and grumpy. Mr. Owl told me that after it’s all done, we won't be able to grow any more food. The land will be something they called ‘infertile’. How do they know all of this? I’m just a little chipmunk in a big big world. Momma said the air will get all gross and we won’t be able to breathe it. Why would they do that?

*Peeks over chair as if looking down from a tree*

Right now I can see one colorful woman running around and screaming. She seems really upset. I should probably go try to calm her down.*Gets up and gasps*  Oh! Now a man in a blue suit is chasing her! I think she stole his berries. All of the colorful people are getting up now and going into a van but they’re being dragged and forced to. Why don’t they wanna go in? It looks nice and cool on this hot day. Ah, again with the loud noises! *Looks around frantically* Oh no, they’re tearing up my tree! Where’s momma?! I need to get out of here but I’m too afraid! Please Please go away! Go away!! Oh, I see a colorful woman escaped! She’s pointing at me and yelling something in human. Whatever she said made the men in orange stop. They look really mad. They threw her back into the van, and now they’re all looking at me. What did I do?! Why are they all leaving? She saved me! I can stay!

Monologue 2: Police officer John
(Standing with arms crossed at construction site, watching protesters as they refuse to move)

Some people ask me why I became a cop. My usual answer is  “to protect our public, of course”. But that’s not true. The real reason I became a cop is because my father made me. He was a cop, and wanted my whole family to follow in his footsteps. If I could go back in time, I would.

*Walks over to protesters, worries expression*
Hey! Hey you!
Get off there !
You’re going to get hurt !
*Walks away shaking head*
Damn kids. I agree with what they’re doing though. Stickin up for themselves and others. That’s good. Wish I could do that.
*Runs over and helps a man down from bulldozer*
Sir! Sir!
Stop that! If you fall, you’re going to get hurt and in trouble!
Gosh. Maybe if I acted more aggressive, they would stop. But I don’t have it in me. I have to think about my family. If I gave in and just agreed with them I’d lose my job. But then again..
*sighs*
This pipeline that they’re building could be even worse for my family than me loosing my job. I could always find a new one. But in this economy...
I’ve gone over the pros and cons numerous times. If this is something I feel passionate about, shouldn’t I stand up for it? Shouldn’t I make a difference too?
*Walks over to Chief*
Hey Chief can we talk?
Yeah, uh, I’m not standing guard anymore.
It means that I’m not stopping these hippies, er, activists. I agree with what they’re doing and I’m unable to stop them. If this means I lose my job, then  so be it.
I understand sir, I understand. This is something I feel strongly about.
Oh, wow, really?
You agree?! I mean, of course you agree sir.
Thank you sir. I’ll see you in the station tomorrow.
*Gets in police car and drives away into the sunset*
I can breathe easy now. I may only be one person, but I can still make a difference. I hope the other officers follow suit, if they’re not scared.

Monologue 3: Farmer Sean

(Ignorant small town farmer whose being affected by pipeline)
(Slouching on couch with beer in hand)

What am I supposed to do about this damn shit? Damn politicians thinkin’ they run this country. Well, they do, but I still don’t like ‘em! Talkin all their big talk, runinin’ our land. I hear em outside right now. They say I can’t be in my own house during construction.

*Screams out window to workers*
Bullshit ! I can be wherever I want! This is my land!
NO! I will not leave my house! I will not!
You think I care about that? Ha, fuck em!
*Goes and sits on couch, turns on tv*
Once they build this contraption, all our fresh air gonna be gone! The lil critters ain’t gonna have no water no more! All this land gonna be cut up and used, we can all say goodbye to fresh crops!
*Hears banging on door, gets up and grunts*
What does yall want now?!
Once again, NO!
*Sits down and ignores the continued banging, thinks to self*
If we all respected this earth we live on here, we wouldn’t have to be doin all this. I live here by myself and I’m perfectly fine! Raise all my own animals, grow all my own crops. Don’t gotta worry bout nothin. Simple livin. That’s what ‘mericas all about. Don’t need none of this big time construction.
*Cops break down door, grab him*
HEY! You can’t do that! Let me go!
*Gets put in cop car, looks at his animals sadly*
I’m gonna miss all of yall.

Here's my video! 

Appendix:

-Pipeline Promised Jobs, but turns out those jobs would only last a few months per person

-Project wastes tons and tons of clean water

-In a few years, this will make our air practically un-breathable 

-Many people are loosing their homelands due to construction

-Farmlands will become infertile

-All the pollutants will cause tumors in animals that live near the pipeline

Bibliography:

"Red State Ranchers Vs. the Pipeline." YES! Magazine. N.p., n.d. Web. 12 Oct. 2012. <http://www.yesmagazine.org/planet/nebraskans-speak-out-against-the-pipeline>.

"Occupy & 350.org Crash Boehner's Office over Backroom Attempt to Revive Keystone XL." Tar Sands Action. N.p., n.d. Web. 13 Oct. 2012. <http://www.tarsandsaction.org/>.

"Friends of the Earth." Friends of the Earth. N.p., n.d. Web. 13 Oct. 2012. <http://www.foe.org/projects/climate-and-energy/tar-sands>.