Let Millennials Drink!!!

REMINDERS FOR THE FIRST 2FER:

• You need at least TWO outside sources referenced in the paper, and also in the “Works Cited” section at the bottom of your doc, using correct MLA citation format.

• You do NOT need the first or second person -- I, me, my, we, us, our, you, yours, etc.

If your paper has either of these problems, it automatically loses 10% on the final grade. They are easy to avoid, just check before you submit.

Your Draft Here:

In some parts of the United States of America (U.S)  the legal minimum drinking age is twenty-one years old. By contrast, China has no legal drinking age and Cuba has it as low as the age of sixteen. With other countries legal drinking age being a low age or not being existent at all shows huge trust in their citizens and shows that they believe their citizens are responsible.  The 21-and-over drinking age in the United States reflects the fact that adults do not trust young people in the united states.

The U.S needs to show trust in it’s millennials and that trust will also come with confidence and responsibility and this is what the millennials need since in their everyday life they are being looked down upon by the adults.  According to Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD). “Finally, in 1984, the federal government ordered all 50 states to raise their legal drinking age to 21 years old or suffer a 10 percent cut in their annual federal highway dollars.” This all started thirty-three years ago and now it is a whole new generation aka the millennials that are around today. U.S are punishing the new generation because of the mistakes and irresponsibility of the generation before them. The millennials deserve to have the same chances of those who came before them.

The U.S changing the legal drinking age to 18 isn’t  that much to ask for considering  that other countries have their drinking age as low as the age of 16. A study done by the World Health Organization found that “In many European countries where the drinking age is 18 or younger, 15 and 16 year-old teens have more drinking occasions per month, but fewer occasions of dangerous intoxication than their American counterparts.” The results of this study came out this way because European countries trust their citizens with alcohol at a younger age so they basically grow with the ability to drink. While the U.S on the other hand have many different penalties when It comes down to minors possessing alcohol, this leads to people tending to go out and get completely wasted on their twenty-first birthday in celebration for being legally able to drink. Since they are getting completely wasted the chance of something dangerous or fatal happening exponentially increases.

If the adults stopped to think about it, they will realize that the legal drinking age is not just about safety but it is also about building trust in society. If the legal drinking age is indeed changed to eighteen the trust that would be brought along would be very strong and it would really increase the bond between the millennials and the adults. This is why the U.S needs to change their minimum legal drinking age to eighteen throughout the U.S.

Works CIted

Caleb Daniloff. Video by Robin Berghaus. “Drinking: 18 vs. 21 | BU Today | Boston University.” BU Today, www.bu.edu/today/2010/drinking-18-vs-21/.

Responsibility, Choose. Choose Responsibility, www.chooseresponsibility.org/drinking_and_culture/.

Taylor Green (Student 2019)
Taylor Green

Your essay was alright, but it didn't convince me much. I wish you would've brought up more points to support your reasoning. You talked a lot about trust, and I think for your paper to be better you should've written about it more.

Hamidou Doumbia (Student 2019)
Hamidou Doumbia

I have a question about the drinking age. If you let a younger person drink won't they be put them self in danger? You did convince me it not fair for U.S to allow people drink under the age of 18 because other country does allow people drink at age of 16.

Kimberly Gucciardi-Kriegh (Student 2019)
Kimberly Gucciardi-Kriegh

I really liked your essay! When I first saw the title, I thought that was going to be hard to argue but you did a great job and your analysis was very strong, thoughtful and unique. You did a good job of targeting people who may not care about changing the law. Maybe you could have added that like drinking underage might be considered rebellious and if it was legal, maybe that would change the number of kids who drink. This expanded my thinking and brought up points for people to think about.