Lobbying: Sex Ed 101

sex_education_471705

Post 1&2 Study the Issues

What are you lobbying for, against or to change?I am lobbying to have sex education taught in public schools.

Elaborate on your motivation for investigating and influencing public policy?
Some Americans argue over whether sex ed is something that should be taught in schools. 7% of Americans believe that sex ed shouldn't be taught in school. They believe that "talking" about it would cause more teen pregnancy, but after viewing the hit MTV seris 16 and Pregnant many of the girls expressed wishing they would have waited and that they had been better educated on sex, protection and STDs.

Who are the main supporters of your lobbying idea? Most teenagers and some parents

Who are the main opponents of your lobbying idea? Some parents and teenagers

Is there any pending legislation dealing with your lobbying idea? Explain. If there is not, what would you like to see proposed. Elaborate.  I would like to making that sex ed is something that every high school student in America most take, I guess it would be best to start small for example in different cities have this something they make happened in their school district.  

Post 3: 1. What is the status of your issue at the legislature? Is this a "good" year?
I think that it is a great year to try and help teenagers learn about safe sex and not just abstinence, the US government only promoted abstinence-only sex education since 1996 to the tune of $50 million each year. The sex ed classes that school do have just talk about NOT having sex and if you do use a condom. Very few of them talk about the high risk of pregnancy and STDs. This is something that needs to be changed, but many parents are against their children learning about sex in the classroom. If sex is taught in the classroom it would allow the student to be more comfortable talking to their parents about the topic.
2. Who is essential to the outcome?
I would say the school districts directors, but in order to get them on together parents have to come together.

sex_education_471705
sex_education_471705