Lobbying for funding for Philadelphia after school programs

Natalie Sanchez 

I am lobbying for more after school programs for students in Philadelphia in order to reduce the amount of crime that occurs  during after school hours. 
Recently, funding for Philadelphia after school programs has been cut because of Corbett's new budget plan. This has lead to a lot of violence and disorderly acts among children during after school hours. I am motivated to support funding for Philadelphia after school programs because I want kids to have a safe place to spend their time after school. I too used to feel unsafe coming home after school as a kid. I lived in a pretty dangerous neighborhood and never liked walking home from school alone. I always felt like I would get hurt, or kidnapped even, by some stranger on the road. I wish I would have had after school programs in my elementary school in order to give me a safe haven to stay until my parents came home from work. I am not alone. There are many organizations that support and even fund after school programs in Philadelphia, some of which are The Philadelphia ASAP, The Philadelphia Department of Recreation, the PSAYDN, and the Philadelphia School District. The most recent parties opposed to funding for Philadelphia after school programs have been the State, and more specifically, Governor John Corbett. Right now there is a bill in the city council committee called the  bill # 110521. This bill basically reiterates the fact that Philadelphia has experienced budget cuts because of the State's budget plan, and that we are need of funding for schools. It basically allows for advertising/fundraising of/for city funds, and gives the amount of money raised by these advertisements/fundraisers to the Philadelphia Education fund. The money that goes into this fund can help to establish more after school programs for Philadelphia students. This pending law supports my lobbying topic directly because it covers all of my concerns and works to fund the after school programs that I am lobbying for.