Love or Money?

Love or Money?

Comparing "Taming of the Shrew" to "Something’s Gotta Give"

In the novel "The Taming of the Shrew" it is proven that Petruchio and all the other men fight to have the opportunity to marry Katherine or Bianca. In the 2003 movie "Something's Gotta Give" the main character Jack Nicholson is rich and owns tons of businesses. He shows interest in young women only and they rush to catch any opportunities to be with him. The young woman in the movie is viewed as a gold digger and is seen negatively in society.

Both Jack and Petruchio share similar stories, but there thought process is different. Money plays a role in both situations, but with the movie Jack just wants a young woman to have sexual relations with while Petruchio wants a housewife with children. Dowry is brought up a lot throughout the novel and the men discuss how they don't want to get matched with someone who is poor. So, the main priority is the money, but women have to settle and just go along with it. In the novel, this shows how women are being used, but in the movie the man is using the woman in one way and the woman is using him in another. "These text show that money has always had a big influence on relationships, but that has changed over time as women have more direct access to earning and keeping money. As a result women’s status in relationships have changed a lot and improved. They are more equal now. "

"And therefore if thou know, One is rich enough to be Petruchio's wife..."

(Act l Scene 2, 67-68)

In this quote, Petruchio explains to Hortensio he’s looking for a wealthy wife. He later marries Katherine whose father and family are very wealthy. Petruchio has no intentions of marrying a woman he loves or has anything in common with. He prefers a woman he can tame and a woman with money.

Erica caters to Harry as he recovers from a heart attack. He continuously tries to come on to her and plays his tricks like Petruchio.

Screenshot 2016-04-24 at 5.52.45 PM.pngScreenshot 2016-04-24 at 5.53.23 PM.png

In this scene Harry is trying to woo Erica by holding conversation and coming onto her. In the play Petruchio does something similar when he confronts Katherine and constantly follows her around trying to win her over.  

" I come to wive it wealthily in Padua; If wealthily, then happily Padua."

(Act 1, Scene 2, 76-77)

Here Petruchio explains how marriage is what he wants, but money is the key. He explains how marriage brings happiness not from love, but from having a lot of money. To him that his what makes a relationship successful.

Jack hops from woman to woman, but has yet to think about settling down or finding a woman that actually suits him.

Here, Jack is staying at the beach house with his young girlfriend Marin. The house is very nice, with a view, and is spacious. In “The Taming Of The Shrew” Petruchio would have wanted to marry Marin because she’s young and pretty, but also comes with money to support herself and show off. As mentioned in my intro both Harry and Marin are using each other. She wants a man with money and he wants a young girl who can keep him interested and feeling good about himself.

" Hortensio: I promised we would be contributors, and bear his charging of wooing wharsoe'e. Gremio: And so we will, provided that he win her.

(Act 1, Scene 2, 218-220)

Marriages are treated like business deals in this play between Katherine's father and the man she’s marrying. Everything is set up and decided between the men and women are just expected to follow along with all the decisions they make. In the movie, you can see that Harry chooses to break up with Marin for her mother Erica and she agrees to it.

As the movie starts Harry is considered a player and gives out his money to young women he’s sleeping with. He explains that he only dates women under 30, but as the movie progresses he begins to have heart attacks, panic attacks, and other health problems due to the sexual relations with these different young women.

At the end of the movie, Harry falls in love with a woman named Erica who is his age and ends up marrying her. He comes to realize that he can be happy with a woman his age. Also, Marin the woman Harry left finds a husband her age and has children. She becomes independent enough to manage her own money and not follow after a man has seen in “The Taming of the Shrew”.

Works Cited:

• Shakespeare, W. (1992). The Taming of the Shrew (B. A. Mowat & P. Werstine, Eds.). New York, NY: Washington Square Press.
  • "Something's Gotta Give (film)." Wikipedia. Wikimedia Foundation. Web. 27 Apr. 2016.

Jamira Terrell (Student 2017)
Jamira Terrell

This was a great essay to read. The way you incorporated the quotes and analysis was good because they all tied back to the theses, also the way you set up your quotes and screenshots was good for formatting purposes. I was able to get a clear understanding of the movie without having watched it.