Mac and Cheese

Mac and Cheese Recipe

• 1 box of macaroni

• 1 stick of butter

• 1 can of Carnations evaporated milk

• 3 cups of shredded sharp cheddar cheese

• 2 cups of shredded mild cheddar cheese

• 2 cups of shredded 4-state cheddar blend

• 2 cups of shredded colby jack cheese blend

• ¼ tsp of salt

• ⅛ tsp of pepper

• ⅛ tsp of mustard powder

• Lawry’s season salt

• ½ cup of whole milk

Directions

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

2. Cook 1 box of macaroni and drain.

3. Add 1 stick of butter and let it begin to melt.

4. Pour in one can of Carnations evaporated milk.  Stir.

5. Add two cups of shredded sharp cheddar cheese and stir.

6. Add  1/4 tsp of salt.  

7. Add 1/8 tsp of pepper.

8. Add 1/8 tsp mustard powder.

9. Add two shakes of Lawry's season salt.

10. Add 2 cups of mild cheddar cheese.  Stir.

11. Add 2 cups of a Colby Jack blend cheese. Continue to stir while cheese melts

12. Add 2 cups of 4 State Cheddar blend

13. Add 1/2 cup of whole milk.  Stir.

14. Pour mixture into a glass bowl and cover the top with another cup of cheddar cheese.

15. Bake for approximately 30 minutes or until the mac and cheese begins to bubble and the cheese too begins to brown.  Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes.

For this project, I decided to do my mothers famous Mac and Cheese.  Macaroni and Cheese is a staple in soul food in the United States.  Macaroni, cheese, and butter are fused together to make a dish that seems to be brought down from the heavens.  While everyone says that there mac and cheese recipe is the best, I truly believe that my mother perfected the recipe.  All of the indigirants complement each other so nice that it creates a dish that is one of a kind.

This meal is not that cheap.  You will need about 5 bags of cheese to make this recipe.  If each bag of cheese goes for about 4 dollars then you will be spending about 20 dollars on cheese alone.  A box of pasta for this recipe will go for a little over 1 dollar.  A box of butter will cost you 5 dollars.  Evaporated milk should cost about 5 dollars.  Assuming you have everything else, you will be spending about 35 dollars on this dish.  

We are living in a world where almost every kind of food you get is processed in some kind of way.  Every ingredient in this recipe is processed.  These cheese, the butter, the macaroni.  Even whole milk is processed.  From the cheese alone you are look at almost 500 calories.  If you are someone who likes to watch their calories then you should only eat mac and cheese on special occasions but if you are someone like me who can afford eating something like this then you should.