Macbeth Tarot Cards- Grace Karlen and Alonso Lai

Alonso and I created Macbeth themed tarot cards for our Macbeth creative project. We did this through studying the practice and concepts behind tarot, applying the meanings associated with the cards to motifs, significant ideas, plot, and characters from Macbeth. This can be seen in the original illustrations on all 78 cards, each of which show a character, scene, significant plot point, and more.

We decided to create tarot cards for a myriad of reasons. We initially thought of how tarot cards, and the idea that they can inform about a person’s future connected with Macbeth, and the themes of fate. We also found that the suits fit well with motifs in Macbeth, demonstrating core conconcepts of the book. Through reading about the meanings behind cards, we also found that many of them related to characters, relationships, and events in Macbeth. This includes a change in fortune, internal battles, ambition, intense relationships, and more. We also use the cards to expand upon our thoughts and connections to the book, such as illustrating a character’s role and beliefs through the images on the cards. We created all 78 tarot cards, with a full list of instructions that you can find here. Now, you can use these cards and ask questions so that you can be lead to your fate, just as Macbeth was! (We’re not responsible for poor decisions made due to tarot readings)

Max Gilbert (Student 2022)
Max Gilbert

I feel that the tarot cards fit extremely well with the themes of Macbeth and are a great way to show the play's connection to fate. 10/10 would fortune again. -Max Gilbert

Iris Peron-Ames (Student 2022)
Iris Peron-Ames

I think it was super cool that you took Macbeth and combined it with tarot cards, as it is not only merging two things that I know you're passionate about, but also gives the opportunity to explore the motifs and such deeper. I applaud you for going through and making all of those cards, too.