5 Minutes of Science -Brittany Cooper

​Science -  HIV stands for Human Immunodeficiency Virus. HIV is a virus that spreads through body fluids that affects specific cells of the immune system. AIDS stands for Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome. HIV/AIDS attacks key parts of your body. Mainly your CD4 Cells. CD4 Cells also known as T- Cells are “helper” cells, which fight against infection . You can contract HIV/AIDS through unprotected sex/sex with an person who is infected. Women who are pregnant and tested positive for the virus have a high risk of exposure of infection to their baby. As well as any exchange of bodily fluids.

Society - There are five ways to get infected with HIV; through blood, semen, vaginal fluids, breastmilk and rectal fluids. It is ILLEGAL if you do not tell your partner your sex status. In many states you can press charges for people who know that they are infected and fail to tell so. Approximately 1 in 7 people are infected with the virus and do not know it. In the USA , about 15 to 20% babies born to HIV positive women who are not taking Anti-HIV drugs are infected. In most cases HIV is spread to the baby in the last week of pregnancy. If the mother has a vaginal delivery and her viral load is high, that increases the risk of transmitted the infection. It is advised that women get C - sections to decrease the risk of transmission.

Self - You CANNOT rely on your symptoms to tell you if you are positive for HIV/AIDS, unless you get tested. And follow through with the test results! in another words, go back and ask for your results. A lot of times people will take the test but not go back for the results because they are scared of the outcome. Have safe sex too!