My Capstone: An Environmental Initiative Using Dredged Material

Summary:  

My capstone entails using dredged material to better our environment and plant trees in the Northeast Area. It also entails helping Science Leadership Academy and using dredged material to better the school’s community garden.

Abstract: 

My capstone, as stated above, entailed the use of dredged material, or excavated soil from the bottom of rivers/lakes that has mineral/organic properties, to better the environment. Dredged material is seen to be a very dirty, useless substance that is contaminated and is inefficient. That is why so much dredged material is dumped in landfills and other areas to just sit there, and that hurts the environment. The truth is dredged material is actually very beneficial for many things such as aquaculture, wetland restoration, planting, and much more. It even has research studies to prove it to be so. Since I have ties with the EPA, I wanted to get this dredged material that is being ignored and neglected and put it to good use by using the material to plant trees in my Northeast Area and to better the community garden of SLA. Throughout the process, it gave me amazing insight on dredged material and also the process of actually getting an initiative like this one to happen.