Note Hierarchy

The Handmaid’s Tale has a new form of hierarchy. A new system. In this hierarchy there are men and women separated. And in these smaller categories, there is also hierarchy. Wives, Aunts, Marthas, Handmaids, Econwives, and Unwomen. This ranking system is most based on the ability to produce babies and moral values including before the new system was implemented. The way the system goes, it seems very much based on religious values and it’s being pushed on the whole community. We don’t know how far the system spans in the world but it seems like something not too limited. This notion of religious beliefs and such a vastly different government being forced upon citizens just doesn’t sit right. Another thing that was noted was that for each class of woman, there were different dress colors. Blue for wives (like representing the virgin mary and innocence), Aunts would wear light brown dresses, Martha’s wear green, Handmaids wear red, econwives wear green and blue striped dresses. This is similar to uniforms for school, and as a student I would hate a uniform. Uniforms are to make everyone less individual and uniform. Personally I don’t agree with this because I think self expression through clothing is really important and something I value a lot. I also like to see other people use it as an expression as well. When you think about their strategies to keep order in their system in order, you think of the wall. Or that’s what I thought of. It’s a tactic they use to scare people into submission. That seems to be a theme. Scaring people into submission to their roles. It’s very toxic and I kind of wonder how sustainable it is. How long it will last. The obsession with the wall is representative of values that the higher ups deem wrong. And the consequences that come with not following the ideas of the more powerful. It’s a very strict society where emotions are devalued and therefore people also become dehumanized as emotions are a huge part of humanity. The hierarchy seems to also value “purity” in the eyes of god. For example Serena Joy became a wife because she proved in her old life before the new regime, that she was pure and hadn’t sinned. This bringing in of religion is not new to the world. Like when christianity was being pushed upon people in the past, a similar thing is happening in this book. Also, in the Handmaid’s Tale, there are soul scrolls and lots of mention of prayer. The mention of these are interesting to me because it’s very private, while usually people are scared because they feel constantly watched and spied on. The uncomfort level for women has increased. The Hierarchy of Giead also reveals that the structure of it itself puts women against each other and creates a very quiet, but very judgemental society. Increase in gossip as well because of the lack of communication lines. This environment is women versus women is the most toxic way. Meaning that women are being re taught to hate on other women and criticize them and in turn themselves. They are put down a lot. Our protagonist even seems to have some internalized misogyny instilled in her. Perhaps she was a little like this before gilead, but I think it has definitely increased the more time she spends in gilead. But because she is so much less powerful than many other ranks, she is more easily manipulated. She is put in a position where she feels unsafe to others, and where she is “less than”. Like when the commander takes her to Jezabels, she literally can’t say no. She was put into a position where she could not say no to protect her own life. I don’t think there should be any way she should have been put into a situation she can’t say no in.