Op Ed

“She bashed my head into the bathroom sink. I have fifteen stitches on my forehead because of it. All because she thought I disliked her.” -Anonymous Philadelphia School District Student 

The reasons why our youth drop out of high school is because 57% of our students believe it’s the lack of discipline in the high schools. But why care that some students are dropping out of high school? Our dropout rate makes not only Philadelphia appear as a bad place to live as a whole, but it puts the future in jeopardy for much of the city. When youth drop out of school, their problems don’t go away.  About 52% of those reasons were out-of-school related problems. That means that the communities that surround the school influence their determination to remain in school. Many of the big high schools have kids that feed from their school in more than a suitable walking distance. That means along the way, there is bound to be violence with so many kids in one area. Going to a large school also means that the kids may not know each other very well. That could be a threat to anyone.