Opening a Restaurant

Briefly summarize the bureaucratic 'task' that you selected.

Narcissa and I decided to open an Italian restaurant. We filled out papers necessary to have a business, selling, and having a license.

Give an overview of your process

First we filled out registration for our tax number to fill out the business license. Those are important to own a building and cash checks. Then we filled out the DBA, the Fictitious Name of our restaurant, then the EIN, Employer Identification Number is important if you want people working under your business. Afterwards we completed the Seller's Permit to sell things at our business.

Reflect upon the paperwork that you needed to fill out. Was it straightforward, easy, difficult, perplexing, etc.

Our paperwork wasn't hard, it was straightforward to complete.

If you could change one thing about the bureaucratic process that you flow charted, what would it be and why?

Something I would change is to lower the prices for all the documents needed for a selling business. I'm sure it's hard for small businesses to start because of money.

Why do you think the systems have become so complicated?

I think it became complicated so people who are dedicated to their business will work hard to start it. Owners who do things carelessly is wasting money.

Other thoughts, reflections, feedback.

It was hard to find the documents online to fill out.

Screen shot 2010-12-17 at 8.55.16 AM
Screen shot 2010-12-17 at 8.55.16 AM