Perspective of Women

Margaret Atwood built up a religious society that prioritze’s reproduction in The Handmaid’s Tale. As a society, women often fear men whether that be catcalling or assault. But there is also a selection of women who don’t feel disgusted by catcalling. Offred is a woman who has no power in her society, Gilead. She does not leave her house very much due to her role as a handmaid and when she does, she is with a partner. “As we walk away I[Offred] know they’re watching, these two men who aren’t yet permitted to touch women. They touch with their eyes instead and I move my hips a little, feeling the full red skirt sway around me.”(22) which infers that she feels a sense of power when she is provoking the young soldiers in the streets. It is quite odd how she does not feel fear during this moment and how big the contrast is compared to our society today.

Even though Gilead protects women now, it was never like that. The book mentions “rules that were never spelled out but that every woman knew: Don’t open your door to a stranger, even if he says he is the police… Keep the locks on and keep going. If anyone whistles, don’t turn to look.”(24). The past Gilead is very similar to our society now. The same rules apply to women today however, our society is definitely more dangerous. Women often fear talking to men in the streets due to activities like rape or assault. Although it is advised for women to not go out alone, many resort to having self defense weapons. Gilead solved this problem as Offred mentioned “We aren’t allowed to go there except in twos. This is supposed to be for our protection, though the notion is absurd: we are well protected already.”(19). The difference between Gilead and our society today shows how comfortable women feel around men in public.

This also brings up later on when Offred was “ashamed of [her]self for doing it”(22) which is how she acknowledges that it is wrong but yet she feels pleasure from doing it. This small bit of power she has over these men brings her joy due to her relation to men in general. but yet society makes it so women are only objects. As the Atwood “there is supposed to be nothing entertaining about us, no room is to be permitted for the flowering of secret lusts; no special favors are to be wheedled, by them or us, there are to be no toehold for love. We are two-legged wombs, that’s all:sacred vessels, ambulatory chalices.”(136). However this is not much different than our society today. Women are often seen as disposable and objects when it comes to men’s sexual desires. Offred knows she is only “for breeding purposes”(136) which makes this dynamic of a young man that can’t touch her and a woman who accepts the fact that she is just an object. In today’s society, women are not objects and many speak out on this subject. Feminist movements are bigger than ever and the people are fighting for women’s rights. This does not exist in the present Gilead however it may have been a movement in the past Gilead.

Although this ideology exists, women still find pleasure in being catcalled. In our society today, street culture often puts women in fear but catcalling is very two sided. One side is very disturbing where women are scared to walk outside, in fear that they will be touched. The other side is odd where women feel pride and an ego boost when a man shouts for them. Offred is a part of the other side but it is purely based on how Gilead functions as a society. Offred wants men to think about her and “hopes they get hard at the sight of us and have to rub themselves against the painted barriers, surreptitiously.” because this gives her the satisfaction she wants. Although a selection of women choose to brag and gloat about being catcalled, the majority are aware of the danger of men. Maybe women feel this way because of the lack of power these women feel. This could also contribute to their confidence and self esteem because they want to feel like they matter. Overall, it is a toxic mentality that kind of discards the fear factor of the society around women. Offred is protected in Gilead but women in today’s society still live in fear.