Pipeline Monologue Project

Part I: In this unit of study, we learned about the Keystone XL Pipeline. We learned about all the background info needed to understand the pipeline as well as arguments for and against it. We then learned how to write a good monologue. Now, as our project, we are making monologues about the Keystone XL Pipeline.

Part II: 

1: "On the one hand, the Obama administration is taking important steps forward with investments in renewable energy and the recent power plant regulations. On the other, they’re letting fracking go unregulated, still deliberating on the Keystone XL [crude oil] pipeline, and weakening key international climate policies" SOURCE: INTER PRESS SERVICE 2013-09-27 00:29:00

2: "The fact of the matter is that as the (U.S.) state department itself says, the environmental impacts of the Keystone pipeline are negligible ... In fact it will displace a crude that in many cases comes from not just higher-emitting sources of oil but frankly from places where the environmental standards of production are very poor" SOURCE: THE PROVINCE DAILY NEWS 2013-09-26 22:15:00

3. "Mr. President, please do not make a bilateral agreement approving the Keystone XL based on the government of Canada’s mitigation promises ... While this may seem like a generous offer, Canada simply cannot mitigate the carbon pollution from the pipeline; those emissions would simply be too big. Keystone XL would be directly responsible for the equivalent annual emissions of 51 coal-fired power plants or 37.7 million cars. As a point of comparison, Canada has about 26 million cars on the road" SOURCE: ECOEARTH NEWS 2013-09-24 04:25:00

4. 
"TransCanada keeps insisting the Keystone XL pipeline will be the safest pipeline ever built despite irrefutable evidence to the contrary. In fact they are building the southern portion of the Keystone XL to the lowest permissible standards, just as they have the Keystone 1 and the Bison Pipeline." SOURCE: DESMOGBLOG 2013-09-22 21:47:00
5.
"I don’t think it’s specifically Keystone XL, but I think the challenges that Keystone XL and other pipeline projects have had, and the delays that they have faced, are causing the industry to realize that we need alternatives".SOURCE: NATIONAL POST 2013-09-23 08:38:00
Part III:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Monologue 1: John

[Enters through door] “Hey, Daddy’s home!” [Walks to living room] “Hey sweetie how are you? You look kinda sad today.... Something happened at school?.. Oh the pipeline, well what’s the problem with it?.. Your friends? Let them protest and stuff, nothing’s gonna change anyway... [Sits down on couch] Well, that’s the thing. This pipeline does a lot of good stuff for us... I mean... Look at this house, look at your TV, your iPhone, and all your other stuff... And look, so many other families will have the same chance. I mean, look at it... Yeah, I don’t need to treat you like a baby, I’m just, you know, worried.

“Let me tell you something, I was a board meeting today and we were talking about this stuff. The risks are worth the reward.... Well I don’t care about the ‘state department’ or the ‘President of the United States’... Well, ok. Yeah, it can leak, it can spill, it can do hundreds of things... The point is that it won’t... I don’t know, ok maybe I should...

“My point being, this pipeline is important! Not just for us but for an entire nation! Sweetie, listen to me... No, it doesn’t matter here. We won’t even see it.... Yes that’s the big oil spill... Yeah, but that was the gulf of mexico, Not here... Wow, is... is that what happened there.. [mutters] So much destruction... [speaks normally] Well in america... Well here in canada...

“Alright honey...  I admit it, it’s dangerous... But not for us... Yes, people can be hurt... Ok, I think it’s homework time for you... [Get’s up and exits]

Monologue 2: Will

[Walks in door] Hey, man, how are you... Come on, lets sit down.... Actually I’m not sure about that, another protest?... I sympathise man, I really do, but we’re adults, not the free-riding teens we once were... [Waitress walks to table] What would I like to have... Get me a scone... or a muffin... Actually a berry muffin please... And some tea. What about you?.. [Waitress walks away after order]

So are you ready, I mean, we are in DC after all, every protest here is bound to be big. Why don’t I want to come... Well that’s the thing, call me crazy, call me a establishment shill, but I think Keystone XL is one of the keys to fixing our economy. We need to take risks right? And XL constitutes a risk. I know the environmental and health stuff, but damn this needs to go through.

[Waitress comes by and brings food] Thanks... Yeah, I do wish the best of luck to you though... Well, we are all in our own little hell right now, and an oil spill is nothing to the suffering of the poor and the middle class. Right now we have a golden opportunity. The door out of this place is standing right there, but you keep trying to barricade it.... Things aren’t always black and white like they are for you and so many others. There are so many other colors and shades. And this one isn’t all bad.

I have a job, but I’m barely getting by... I have meds to take and all that stuff... You know, when I came in, I was on the fence, but now, I’m more than certain this pipeline has to go through. [alarm beeps] Well... I have a doctors appointment in half an hour so, I’ll see you around...

Monologue 3: Jack

[Jack is collapsed on couch, wife walks in] Hey honey... Well yeah, really I’m just tired... Look at me, I’m a mess. I have to clean up... But I’m too tired. God this job is killing me.

God, this couch is so comfy... Am I in heaven... Never mind. I need a cold drink, god, I’m thirsty... [Wife leaves and brings drink]

Have you seen the bullcrap safety at the place! Just today I saw Jim nearly get crushed by one of those huge pipes! I’m looking at the thing and I don’t see how it’s going to hold up for more than a year! If this goes through... I don’t even want to think about it.  I mean, what the hell is going on?

I remember when I got this job, I thought it was going to be good. I thought it would help us get back on track and you know... Help us save up for that house... Well I guess that’s all just a dream gone by...

This is supposed to be the thing that helps the economy... Helps us all get back on track. But at what cost? Welcome to hell, North america, you’re taking a page right out of the devil’s playbook.

Ok, that’s it! Tomorrow I’m turning in my two weeks. It’s time for all this to end. I’m going to start looking for an office job tomorrow. I can’t stand that place anymore.