Pipeline Monologue Project

In the past unit of our study in World History, we were discussing the Keystone Pipeline XL controversy. The suggested plan is to extend the on the already existing parts of the Pipeline andhave it extend from Canada to the Gulf of Mexico. The $7 billion pipeline will transport tarsands oil from Alberta, Canada to the oil refineries along the pipeline route. This pipeline is still in the process of being granted access to cross international boarders.I was newly introduced to this problem a few weeks back so I don’t know all the details of the pipeline, but I what I pulled the most form all of the information I’ve examined was that this will create money opportunities for many American workers.

·         The construction of the pipeline will create over 20,000 construction jobs

·         The total amount of new tax dollars that would be generated would be $585 million

·         The leftover money will put into a budget to build a new school

·         Though the oil is purchase from Canada and not foreign countries, the oil is a more corrosive, acidic, and unstable blend of raw bitumen and volatile natural gas liquid condensate

·         There’s  a danger to locals near the pipeline of a poisoned water supply if there were to be any pipe leaks

Mars Monologue

(Pan in to Mars)

(Mars is seen slowly turning in its axis. As the planet continues to turn, you see a mouth, eyes, and eyebrows. You can hear the planet talking, getting louder as he faces front.)

That's what I'm saying. Why can't I have life on me? Is that hard to throw a few bodies on the surface and build a few homes?

(Mars is seen having a conversation with Jupiter about Earth.)

Just because she has life on her, doesn’t make her better than us. [] Oh great, another addition to her many unnecessary tune ups what is it this time? [] Another one? Didn’t she just get one? [] Oh, it’s an extension to the Keystone? Who’s she trying to impress, Neptune? I really don’t get it. She gets all these things done to her that her inhabitants think are great, but she doesn’t really notice the after effects. Like those power plants she get put in so the inhabitants can have energy and water. All that pollution and all of those toxins are going to her atmosphere. It’s depleting it slowly. In a few year, she’ll be all dried out and barren. No one will be able to live there. [] I am not mean. . . or bitter, I’m just saying... I mean it’s true you know. [] I’m just worried she’ll be like the rest of us. I don’t want her to be another Pluto, forgotten. [] No I don’t like her, Well, maybe, I don’t know. She was always something I kept my eye on, nothing more. [] Yeah, I guess I won’t know until I try. But before I even get on that subject with her, I just want to help her. Just to make sure she gets some help before it’s too late. [] Yeah, well it’s just about dark, so I’m going to take it down for the night, see you in a few. []

(Mars is seen slowly turning on his axis, his face disappearing into the darkness.)

Earth Monologue

I just don’t get it. Why is everyone being so hostile her? Can’t we all just get along? [] Hey, hey, watch the attitude, I’m Earth, I will check you in a heartbeat. Ok, so what about a civil agreement between you two? Or maybe you two? Or even better, all of you.[]  What? What do you mean no, I’m Earth, I created you, I own you. [] What do you mean you know what’s best, you can barely keep your nation satisfied? So you want me to trust you, you want me to let you fix this? [] You know what, fine, whatever, I don’t care. [] No, you’re very welcome. Btw that was sarcasm. Ugh, this is not how I thought it would be. I thought being the only planet to have inhabitants would be amazing, but it’s not. The other planets don’t even want to talk to me. The closest thing I have to a friend is Mars and at the rate my inhabitants send stuff to explore him, he’s going to be annoyed at me. I don’t like being mean to my inhabitants , but I also don’t want to lose my friends. It’s all because of this stupid pipeline Why do I need it anyways? Ok, so America wants to use fuel from their own country, you shouldn’t have to be so inconsiderate to the things and people surrounding you. Honestly, I don’t like having all of these extra unnecessary thing put into me. Ugh, it just makes me so angry. This stupid pipeline is ruining my life. I just want it to be how it was before all the inhabitants cared about was money. They’re so ungrateful. So the weather isn’t always the best, I’m sorry, but I have bad days to you know, I have emotions! I’m just, I need, I , I , I don’t care. I can’t do anything to stop, all my attempts are useless. Why not just let them run out of resources and shelter, and food, and then we’ll see who’s big boss. Yeah, that’ll show them real good. That’ll show them really good.
Mars Monologue

Pan in to Mars)

Earth Monologue

Person Monologue

(The rays of the light beaming down from the sun flares the shot before showing an open field. It’s the land of what seems to be a farmer who is planting crops at the moment. )

(Zoom in to eye level with the farmer)

Well hello there, surprise seeing you folk around here. Just planting some crops for the spring season. [] You mean that big pipeline that they want to extend through the middle of the state? Oh no, no, no, I would never let them use my land, not even for $1 million. [] Well for starters, they’d have to dig up my land, ruining all my crops. No sir, not for sell. [] I don’t care if it’d make America better, America can’t get any better because of stupid things like this. America can’t afford to keep my in my school with a good education. America can’t stop spending money useless wants and needs. America can’t stop being Americans, nosy and up in everybody's business. [] No, listen, tell me this, why would the government stop buying good because of its foreign location, to buy that corrosive acid you call oil from Canada? Why are you wasting my tax dollars. [] Let me say this once more, why are YOU, as in America and it’s fancy government people, wasting MY tax dollars. I didn’t vote you all into to government to run our nation into the ground, I voted for you all to make it better, and obviously you didn’t. Now get off my property before I get old frank, better know to you has a shot gun. Yeah, don’t let the nice hair fool you, I have 3 kids, a wife, and frank. Now go on and get off my property

(The farmer begins shoving his finger towards the camera in an aggressive manner while shouting in rage)

* The ( [] ) is to fill the gap for the other character (who is not important/needed) in the script