Printmaking Blog Post & final steps for the element print

Screenshot 2018-06-01 at 8.18.03 PM
Screenshot 2018-06-01 at 8.18.03 PM
This is not the pictures I had to submit, there were supposed to be 3 color prints of this on paper but sadly I lost them. You get the idea though, so it's all good. My element name is Iodine and its atomic number is 53. The origin of the name was  from the Greek word "iodes" meaning "violet". Iodine has 53 protons, 74 neutrons, and 53 electrons. Iodine was discovered in 1811 by a french chemist named Barnard Courtois. Iodine was created when Mr.Courtois was testing an experiment where he was extracting sodium and potassium from seaweed ash. After they were removed he added sulfuric also known as H2SO4 to further process the ash. By mistake he added too much acid and this caused violet colored cloud erupted from the mass. Then the gas condensed on metal objects in the room and this created solid iodine. Iodine reduces thyroid and kills bacteria, fungus, and kills other microorganisms such as amoebas. There is a specific kind of iodine called potassium iodine and it can help treat radioactive accidents but it can’t prevent them.  Iodine is halogen and nonmetal. It’s state is solid and it looks like purple vapor. Fun fact iodine is a rare element both in the earth’s crust and the solar system.I got my idea from someone who had done something similar. They had fishes and seaweed spread out but mines had 2 seaweed that formed a x and had 2 fishes next to each side.I also added medicine because iodine can be found in medicine. I had to first draft what I was going to be pasting. After I decided what to make, I had to draw it on a very thin paper and then trace it over a soft piece of paper. Once it pasted I had to start pasting it with paint and it took me lots of tries to get 3 that were really good. I would change the drawing because I forgot to add the medicine in my final print. The part of the project that I enjoyed the most was printing the drawing with paint because it was fun. I found the color pushing into the paper very satisfying. I liked how we all just tried to get the perfect print.