Samuel's Vignette

Artist’s Statement: At first I had no idea what to write about, I didn’t think I had a story about identity. Then I started to think about what communities I belonged to and the story of how I began to get into football stuck out to me. A story telling technique I used from born a crime is how Trevor gives a lot of background information when he tells us a story. An example of this is the first chapter, the chapter is about Trevor’s Mother throwing him out of a moving bus. But Trevor gives background information on his mother’s devotion to the church, how the minibusses are connected to organized crime, and why they had to resort to catching the minibusses. My evidence is on page one in the first paragraph, Trevor writes “I was nine years old when my mother threw me out of a moving car. It happened on a Sunday. I know it was on a Sunday because we were coming home from church, and every Sunday in my childhood meant church. We never missed church. My mother was—and still is—a deeply religious woman.” This quote establishes the chapter’s main idea of getting thrown out of a bus but also established background information like where they were going and why.I know there are a lot of people who are not familiar with the football culture that is why I devoted a chapter to just explaining how football fans act. This vignette speaks about how football became apart of my identity, our guiding question was “Tell a story about a personal experience about your own sense of identity/belonging in a culture” I believe this describes my story perfectly

English project