School District Budget Cuts: Cutting the Future

The Philadelphia School District budget cuts are devastating to public schools in Philadelphia. To Governor Tom Corbett (pictured below) these cuts may just be moving money from one place to another, but to us, the students of Philadelphia, they means lost teachers, supplies, our education and our future. At this point, the budget cuts will happen, and that's a given. That being said, there is still more we can do. We can all work hard to educate ourselves on the topic of budget cuts, and we can make efforts to change the budget cuts much less severe. There will be losses, but we should all do our part to try to minimize them. I've recently been doing some research myself. 

So far, I have discovered that 12% of all teaching positions might be cut, and at this point almost 400 teachers and planning on either retiring or resigning before next year. Although this is not the most teachers that retired in history, it is still a large amount. I, personally think that these budget cuts are a terrible idea. As you can see, it will have serious detrimental effects on the School District of Philadelphia, and part of the money he is taking from the School District he is using for prisons. 

Prisons are used for holding criminals, as we all know. What many of us may not realize is that a large cause of crime is due to an inability to get an education or go to school. While it is not the sole reason, it is still a huge factor and so, essentially, Corbett is building prisons for the future criminals: the students who's education he is taking away today. I wonder if our efforts to make the budget cuts less severe, such as going to Harrisburg and talking to senators, will have any effect on the end result of the cuts. Next time, I hope to research more about the severity of the budget cuts, and the effect it is having.

Governor

http://www.philly.com/philly/education/20110503_Nearly_400_Phila__teachers_plan_to_leave_as_school_year_ends.html

http://www.thenotebook.org/