Scotland High by Iris Peron-Ames Josie DiCapua

In order to demonstrate our understanding of the play Macbeth, we chose to create a mockumentary-type film, following the efforts of the yearbook committee as they interviewed the students of their school.  These students were all characters from Macbeth, and the project thus allowed us to take a deeper look at the characters themselves. By including the interviews, we were not only able to reflect the soliloquies and such from the play, but it also allowed us to predict what the characters would have been like in a modern school environment. This demonstrated our understanding of the text and the characters as we had to mold the speech, the actions, and even the body language of those in the film based off of the play. We also created a few yearbook pages to reflect the video and the characters. The yearbook depicts the graduating class of 1022, which is both a reference to the year that we will graduate, 2022, but would also have been the year that the characters would have been seventeen or eighteen years old. In addition, on each of the pages, we chose to add a small symbol that would represent each character. For instance, for Banquo’s page, a ghost was added. This is both echoing the supernatural theme throughout the play, but is also due to Banquo’s presence as a ghost that haunts Macbeth. We also picked quotes from the text for the majority of the characters, to show the reasoning behind the selected character traits.

The purpose of this project was to take a closer look at the characters in Macbeth, and to use the text to apply their characters to a more relatable setting. The film follows the work of the Scotland High yearbook committee. In order to gather the information needed to create the yearbook, they conduct a series of interviews on all the students of the school. The yearbook is a compilation of the information gathered in the interviews. It not only records the information gathered, but also provides a deeper look into what their personality is meant to be like, and shows some of the evidence supporting these conclusions is from in the quotes.

Here is our video: Scotland High

Here is a link to Iris's page (My project partner)

Ella Newburger (Student 2022)
Ella Newburger

This was awesome! I could tell you put a lot of work into making the video and I love how you made yearbook pages! It was funny and the true charecter rellay shined through in a modern way!

Ella Newburger (Student 2022)
Ella Newburger

Grace Karlen (Student 2022)
Grace Karlen

I think this is a great combination of being funny, relating well to Macbeth, and translating the characters and events from Macbeth into a high school setting!

Miles Menasion (Student 2022)
Miles Menasion

I like the yearbook sort of thing going on. Really cool and creative. It's cool how it draws connections back to the book, like how both Macbeth and Lady Macbeth want to be politicians.

Amaya Lam (Student 2022)
Amaya Lam

i really like the overall look in your post and yearbook pages. I can tell there is a lot of thought from the casting, qualities, quotes, and interview questions