Slideshow and Artist's Statement - Emmett Tsai-McCarthy

I was very excited for this quarter in art, as this was going to be the very first time I could use my computer for art.  I was a little bit disappointed the first time I was going to use my computer for art since the first assignment upon getting was one that required a specific art medium, that being pencil and paper.  But when I was finally able to use it for the mandalas, it was a whole lot of fun.  Being able to use so many tools and colors at my fingertips was what sold me on digital art.
I've also gotten better at shading since last quarter, but it's not just because of my computers versatility.  Although my computer had the bigger impact on my shading abilities, there were two assignments that also helped, them being the optical illusions and shading forms.  It's very easy to see why these assignments had the impact they had on me, as both were literally lessons on shading.  Along with shading, these assignments have gotten me to start drawing in 3 dimensions more than I did before.
I believe this quarter to be the best for my artwork so far, but not just for school work.  I don't mean to sound like a broken recorder, but my artistry has truly gotten better since gaining the ability to draw online and I've been able to start focusing on a goal that I doubted I would even do at all, which was starting my portfolio for college.  Of course, I don't think my artwork is college ready now that I have the means to draw on a screen.  But it was a big step for me and combined with the lessons from this art class, and the stuff I've doing outside of school, will get me even further.