Stopped at the Trolley

I chose this part of my identity to write about because being a woman is one of the biggest parts of my identity. A part of Trevor Noah’s memoir that influenced me was the way that he would portray his mom and the dynamic between him, his mom, and his step dad. I think I chose this specific part of his memoir because I could relate to him about having a strong relationship with his mother and seeing the hardships they’ve gone through and them still staying strong. Specifically when Abel (his step dad) hit his mom for the first time. Fortunately I have never experienced abuse in that way but seeing her reaction and how she stood her ground and wouldn’t allow it made me think of my experience being a young woman/girl and how men treat me because of it. A way that Noah’s writing style impacted me is the humor that he used. The humor aspect of Noah’s writing was in my writing because taking things too seriously could be good at times but also tiring at others. Lighting the topic like Noah does was one of the things that I was going for but not all the time. Reflecting at the end of my vignette, I made a continuous discussion to be more serious because I’m still talking about something serious and not taking it seriously once would show that it's not something serious and that it matters to me. Being a young woman and explaining it to an outside audience is easier especially when I’m explaining something that's happened to me on multiple occasions just like this vignette. It’s easier because having these multiple occasions makes me understand it way more than if it was the culture of being a skater, which I’ve only been doing for half a year. I think because of this understanding and experience I can answer the essential question of how I interact with my world.

Memoir Benchmark - Medina Abdul-Ali