The PATRIOT Act: The Actual Terror Plot

​The PATRIOT Act promises national security and was built to specifically seek out just that by preventing further attacks from the enemies of the United States of America. Safety sure does sound good doesn't it? Especially after an unforeseen event like 9/11. But what the PATRIOT Act is, is in fact, a mystery to most of the citizens of this nation. What does the act entail exactly? What are the specifics? Are we being taken advantage of? Hey, I did't even know about the PATRIOT Act until we discussed it in class to tell you the truth. But I'm pretty sure I wasn't the only one oblivious to what the government has put in place for us. Heck, who isn't?

The PATRIOT Act leaves many in the dark since it was truly an emotional response rather than an appropriately weighted idea. I get it though. 9/11 was definitely a big hit to the US and threatened national safety for years to come. But like any other emotional response, it wasn't thought through. It was an act of fear, and fear breeds repression. Instead of actually seeking out potential threats of this country, we instead, turn on our own citizens and view them as potential threats. That doesn't sound like safety to me. Instead it is another additional fear that has been placed in society by the government. 

It says a lot about our society when even the most (we would like to think) level-headed officials and politicians are deterred when it comes to important decision making. Like I have stated before: yes, 9/11 was a big hit. But if our nation's leaders, the people who we depend on for the well being of our country, can't even sit down and actually plan out the right course of action, it can't help but lead to distrust. I mean, right now as I write this, I can't help but feel like I'm being monitored by a mysterious van a block or two away from my house. I think that says a lot. To not have ease of mind when you are simply speaking your mind is ridiculous. What happened to the First Amendment? Did the PATRIOT Act ink in fine print now that says: "Unless we think you're a terrorist."? 

As much as I disagree with how the and what the PATRIOT Act stands for, it has bound to have worked on more than one occasion. I'm guessing here because, like the PATRIOT Act, it's a mystery. The government is a huge mystery to me. They give out facts and numbers on how many terror plots have been suppressed or stopped due to the PATRIOT Act. But I can't tell for sure if those are factual representations or if it's just to fluff up the PATRIOT Act so the government can still have full access to every person's life. I just don't know. If you round up all of the citizens of the United States, all their opinion will equate to "I don't know.", since we all can't even agree what the PATRIOT Act actually is or entails. I'm not willing to just give up my civil liberties, and neither is the whole population of this country. The PATRIOT Act should be revisited and tweaked to detract from infringing the rights of the people and the foundation that this country was built upon.