The Road Lit Log

The three major houses in the book seem to connect to the comfortability between the man and the boy. It seems to be like a milestone and a way for readers to reflect on how far the man and boy has come. It is interesting to see how their dynamic changes throughout the book. To talk about the houses, I decided to draw the cell house, the bunker, and the luxurious house. I felt like those were the moments you can tell how the power of the man has shifted and slowly balanced out to where the boy has a say in the decision making. In the cell house, the boy does not want to enter the house but the man insists “It’s okay. We have to take a look.”[106]. What they found in the house were naked people getting ready to get eaten so I think this sort of traumatized the man to be more cautious. In the bunker, the man was more thoughtful of the boy’s feelings. The boy “had his fist clutched at his chest and he was bobbing up and down with fear. The man dropped the shovel and put his arms around him.”[135]. By the luxury house, the man softens up the boy’s feelings and takes more of an emotional approach to ensure the boy is okay. The man asked, “Are you scared?”[204] and the boy responds “Yes.”[204]. The houses definitely show a change in relationship dynamic between the man and boy. The man adjusts to the boy as the boy values more civil ideas like helping others and being afraid.

Cell House, Bunker House, Luxurious House