There’s Identity in My Literacy

Intro: In this writing piece I concentrated on the time I found out I had dyslexia and how is was an eye-opener for me.  I also talk about how without my dyslexia, I would not be the same person.  My literacy is through my creativity.  I may not be strong in my reading and writing but I am strong in my theater and artistic activities.  My goal in writing this piece was to make people understand the different levels of literacy.  Something I like about writing this piece was I went into more detail than my last advanced essay, about what my main point was.  Something I can still work on is my grammer.  I think I did better than the last time, but that has always been a struggle.

There’s Identity in My Literacy

I was sitting in a testing room in a giant house.  Unfamiliar surroundings made me overthink all the obstacles that could happen as I sat in a chair for 7 hours in a room with glass walls.  Being asked question after question and being told to read and write this or that.  Mind slowly being winded up as the questions got harder to answer and my eyes started to stumble over the words.  I was a 7th grader with a twisted tongue while reading.  I was first told by the student council at my school that I might actually have dyslexia.  For most of my time in that school they said that dyslexia is not even a thing. Being a kid not having any knowledge of why it took me two times longer to do homework was definitely pressing.

After years of my parents fighting for the student council to realize I might actually have dyslexia, I finally ended up in a testing room.  I sat there in silence twisting my mind over the concept that I am going to finally figure out what is going on with me. I got to find out who I am and why I struggled so much.  With every question the person testing me asked, I felt like I was discoverying my identity. The only time my mind got a break was during a small lunch hour that my dad and I took.  The same time hoping I can get back to testing just so I can have that piece of my identity defined. After the break I went right back to work.

Finally after hours of testing it was finally time for results. I waited on the other side of the glass door as my dad went to meet with the instructor. I sat there thinking, finally, I get to find out what’s going on and I will be able to see a little clearer.  It felt like I was just getting my first pair of glasses.  Once I put on the lens, the blur goes away even though you know you still can’t see.  After waiting over 30 minutes, they both came out, my dad sat next to me and the lady who tested me sat across the table. The lady told me there was one good news and one bad news.  I ask her to tell me the bad news first just to get it out the way.  She told me I had dyslexia.  Even though this was supposed to be bad news, I felt a sigh of relief.  I no longer have to search for what’s going on.  I can also tell my dad was relieved too, that we no longer had to wonder and fight.  She then went on to tell me the good news... I did not have a very high diagnose and that I can get help.  She gave us options and we decided to go with a tutor that came to my school twice a week and taught me.  I would say that this moment in my literacy was a big changing point.

Literacy in my life has taken the place of my identity.  I always searched for the answer to why I am the the way I am through my literacy.  Without my dyslexia I would not be the same person.  Even though I struggle in my reading and writing, I still am very strong in my creative side.  I am able to act, sing and do art because of my lack of expertise in reading and writing.  I would say a struggle that schools have is not knowing how to let kid’s true talents and literacy shine through.  For instance my literacy is through my creativity, schools are just so into subjects such as reading and writing.  The story, I Just Want to be Average, mentioned how it is a  problem that teachers don’t know how to engage the imagination side of a child: “But mostly the teachers had no idea of how to engage the imaginations of us lads who were scuttling along at the bottom of the pond.” pg 164  This should not be a problem, the teacher should look at the strengths of the kid and let them show their true literacy.  If the teachers do this, the student will grow as a bright individual and show their true colors.  This will also help the kid not be ashamed if they are not the best at the main subjects at school like math or reading because the teachers will be bring light to there true literacy and helping them grow in that.

I think that my dyslexia shows that I am a strong person, who no matter what, I am able to tackle the tough times and get through struggles in my life.  Literacy to others is something that is meant for school but there are so many different levels of literacy.  There is literacy in the way people talk to one another, there is literacy in the way people act, write, and learn.  We need to realize these levels of literacy before we shut someone down for not knowing the “basics” in school.  Growing up being told by my teachers that my learning disability isn’t even a thing, was hard for me.  I can tell you that my confidence level in myself was not that strong when they kept denying me.  Once I was able to figure out what was going on with my reading and writing was the day I became more confident.  That is the day I was able to look at myself in the mirror and say, “I know what I struggle with. I know where I have flaws. With this knowledge of my identity I will become more than what others expect.”