They Are People Too, Just Like You And I

“Don’t give him money, he’s going to buy drugs with it.” “She’s too young to be homeless, she’s probably faking it so she can get more money.” These are the things that I hear from the people that I talk to almost everyday, which is really sad because I honestly thought they would help and also support me, while I try to help the homeless. I live in a neighborhood where I see a homeless person either sleeping on the ground or holding up a sign that asks for food wherever I go. Before I came to the United States I never really saw or thought about homelessness; but since I started seeing more and more people on the streets, I felt this thing, a sort of passion, that I have to help them. There are many different ways and reasons on why we should help the people that are currently homeless , but just remember, [try not to give them money](Helping the Homeless: Making a Difference for Someone on the Streets (darkpeakgear.com)) Some people would go and buy drugs or alcohol and get addicted to it, and we don’t want that because we want to help them and not hurt them. I never really showed that I cared about homeless people in front of my friends and even some family members because they think that homeless people do not deserve our help. People think that others lose their homes because they are suffering from addictions and then they don’t show up for work, don’t pay the bills, and end up homeless. Which sometimes is true, but not all the time. Around 44% of homeless people were employed. For women in particular, domestic violence is a leading cause of homelessness. According to the most recent annual survey by the U.S. Conference of Mayors, major cities across the country report that top causes of homelessness among families were: [(1) lack of affordable housing, (2) unemployment, (3) poverty, and (4) low wages,](:Homeless_Stats_Fact_Sheet.pdf (nlchp.org))

homeless
homeless

As you can see, the number 1 reason for homelessness is job loss, alcohol or drug use is in second place but we also have to see that there are more reasons why people became homeless and not just because of addiction.

I believe that we should do everything we can to help people who are currently experiencing homelessness. However it is tough because there are many people without a home right now everywhere around the world. If we try really hard, I know that we can help them have a better life. So my main idea was: we should, or at least try to, build hotels around the world for homeless people. They would get a small room to themselves and they would get a small job; maybe like a school crossing guard, a school janitor or even something at the hotel, just so that they get used to the feeling of working. I think this will be a great start for them to remember how it is to have a house and have to earn money. After saving up their money and being able to get a place where they could stay, they would leave the hotel and hopefully start a new and better life. Like I said before, this will be hard, but they are humans that need our help. Anyone could end up in this situation and I know that everyone would want all the help they can get.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1f2GqFcCQIbktZq-xo3hWUqKRINU22Sv0MJhMrNgGY2A/edit?usp=sharing